14: Mother's Day

As Sarah rambled about her assessment, her friends and their assumptions about this year's team, Carina kissed Maya, looking down at their daughter fondly. No matter what kinds of battles they were each facing, they would be okay, as they would be facing their battles together as a family. One big, happy family.

May came quickly. The rainy weather finally left (somewhat, although it was still Seattle), and the flowers began to bloom, signalling the nearing of summer.

Before they knew it, it was Mother's Day. It was their first Mother's Day... For everyone, really. Sarah and Lucia hadn't celebrated it before, and Maya and Carina hadn't celebrated it as parents, given all the chaos of the year before.

The big day arrived, and Sarah set an alarm for bright and early. She had to ask their friends what they did for Mother's Day to get some ideas, but a common one was making breakfast in bed for their moms.

She woke up Lucia, and the teen explained her plan. Hearing what sounded like an adventure, the bambina eagerly nodded. She wanted to surprise her moms, plus any time she could spend with her big sister was awesome.

After quickly getting up, they assembled in the kitchen in their pyjamas.

"What are we making, sissy?" Lucia yawned, rubbing her eyes. Moose came leaping up on the chair in the kitchen, meowing contentedly like a proud father figure looking at his kittens.

"Pancakes. What do we think?" Sarah suggested.
"Yay!" Lucia squealed.

Sarah read off the ingredients, and helped Lucia bring them down. She asked her sister for the tools they needed, and the bambina was more than happy to participate. The redhead plopped the seven year old's chef hat on her little sister's head and helped Lucia tie on her apron.

After all, Lucia loved cooking.

Between the two of them, they managed to make a pretty decent looking batter. Sarah handed her sister the measuring cups, and Lucia would fill them up and pour them into the pan, her chest puffed up proudly. They even snuck some butter to the cat, who licked it up eagerly.

Lucia sat on the kitchen island with the cat next to her as the teen got out the frying pan. The little girl understood that only big girls could touch the stove, so she watched Sarah pour in the batter into the hot pan. They waited for it to cook on one side before the big flip.

"Want to see me flip it like a chef?" Sarah asked, and Lucia nodded, eager to see her sister in action.

Sarah went to flip the pancake, doing a small wrist movement, but to her utter surprise, the frying pan completely broke. The handle detached from the physical pan, sending it and the raw pancake, crashing to the ground.

Lucia looked at her sister with wide eyes. Moose had fled the room quickly.

Sarah stood there, frozen in position, holding the handle of the pan. "Huh," was all she could say.

Carina came stumbling out of the room, rubbing her eyes to see what the commotion was, and Sarah had to fight her damn hardest not to just cuss right then and there. Just like that, punto, her plan was ruined.

The teen motioned for Lucia to cover her ears, which she did, and Sarah let a loud f-bomb rip.
"Language!" Carina squeaked in surprise.
"Sorry, mamma. We were trying to make breakfast for you both, but the stupid frying pan had other ideas," the teenager explained, sending an angry glare towards the broken appliance.

"You both made us breakfast?" Carina asked with a smile, and Sarah looked at her mamma with a guilty frown. "I'm sorry. I messed up-"

"Bambina, that's okay. That pan needed to be replaced anyway, it was worn down. You two are super sweet. How about I get back in bed and pretend this never happened?" Carina suggested, and Sarah grinned. "Deal,"