47

EXT. GARDEN – NIGHT

SEASON WINTER

HR sits on her stump in the garden with head in her hands crying. The cold is making her shiver but she doesn't notice. Gwi comes up the steps and sees her, both relieved to find her and concerned as it's winter. As he walks, he creates a second stump near her and floating orbs of light surrounding her. HR jumps as the stump appears but turns to see Gwi and smiles, comforted by his presence. As Gwi sits, a golden transparent globe surrounds them. He pulls HR into his side, warming her.

GWI
My love, what are you doing out here in the cold?
(realises after pulling her in)
Your hair is frosty.

Gwi passes his hand over her hair to warm it.

HYE-RYUNG
(wiping her face and clinging to Gwi)
I didn't notice.

GWI
Hye-ryung-a, what are you doing? Why are you crying?

HYE-RYUNG
I was just praying.

GWI
(knowing)
What were you praying?

HYE-RYUNG
I read something today, something like 'Little people always fret and fuss.' I should be calm and collected, but I just don't care. I don't care if I'm fretting. I don't care if I'm a mess. Sometimes I feel so desperate for the gods to have favour on us, for their approval. I want everything to work out the way I hope it will. So I was praying about that.

Gwi accepts the responsibility this places on his shoulders. He puts his hand on HR's head as if she were one of his charges and kisses her forehead.

GWI
May the gods hear you and have mercy. May they receive your words and thoughts with joy. May they grant all your deepest longings.
(pause)

HYE-RYUNG
Thank you. My prayers feel like shipwrecks next to yours. Do they always say yes to your prayers?

GWI
(laughs)
Not at all. I think they're much more likely to say yes to you than to me.

HYE-RYUNG
What do you pray for?

GWI
My charges, of course, as you've seen. My personal prayers I'd share with you if I could, but I can't portion them out like I did with the joy. Your body wouldn't be able to contain them. And they're also inexpressible in human language. Maybe someday I'll work out a way to share them with you.

HYE-RYUNG
What should I pray for you?

GWI
Pray all the things that you pray for already. I want nothing more than to see you happy and satisfied.

HYE-RYUNG
Well, that's hardly fair. I'll have to come up with something on my own then. Gwi, were you always praying? Even- before?

GWI
Not at all. I gave up praying fairly soon after my punishment started. Maybe around 50-100 years in. I found that I didn't have anything more to say; nothing changed no matter what I did or said.

HYE-RYUNG
When did you start again?

GWI
I'm not sure exactly when, at some point when you were getting under my skin. At the time I just thought I was thinking to myself, but looking back on it, there were most certainly some angry prayers mingled into the mix. But let's not talk about then. I don't like to remember it.

HYE-RYUNG
Really? I love thinking about it. I love every moment I've had with you.

GWI
That's because you've always been wonderful. You've nothing to regret.

HYE-RYUNG
(teasing)
If you have so much to regret then I guess you'll just have to make it up to me by spoiling me.

GWI
(looks around baffled)
Am I not already?

HYE-RYUNG
More.

Gwi thinks for a moment, then sweeps his arm in a semi-circle around the globe. Flowers pop up around them. HR claps with delight.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
More.

Gwi opens his hand and musical tones are heard. Butterflies come and flit around them and the flowers. HR smitten, leans into Gwi, almost sultry.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
More.

Gwi kisses HR and little ribbons of light swirl around them.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Always and forever more. That's all I want.

GWI
Well, I hope I can live up to your demands, goddess.

HYE-RYUNG
Don't worry. You always exceed my expectations.