45

INT. HR'S NEW ROOM/GWI'S ROOM – NIGHT

SEASON WINTER

HR tosses and turns in bed, finally sits up, looks to Gwi's room where the light is still on. HR gets up and goes to the adjoining door, uncertain.

HYE-RYUNG
(quietly)
Sire?
(bit louder)
Sire?

GWI'S ROOM

GWI
Come in.

Gwi is resting in bed, half sits up.

HYE-RYUNG
I'm sorry, sire. I saw the light coming through and thought you were awake.
(turns around to leave)

GWI
Hye-ryung-a, come here. I'm awake. I was just thinking. It's not as though you could disturb someone who doesn't need sleep.

Gwi sits up on his mattress and HR sits on the floor next to him.

GWI
Why are you still awake?

HYE-RYUNG
I don't know. I can't seem to sleep. I feel restless for no reason.

GWI
Do you want to go out for a walk? Or shall we go sit in the garden?

HYE-RYUNG
No, that's all right. Just being here with you makes me feel calmer.

GWI
(breath laughs)
I don't know quite how to take that, but I can see it's not entirely true.

HYE-RYUNG
I didn't mean- Of course I feel-

HR puts her head in her hands, genuinely frustrated. Gwi moves closer to HR as she looks up, brushing her hands through her hair. Gwi takes one of her hands in his.

GWI
My love, I can tell you with all certainty that if you came here in this state hoping to be comforted and kissed and fondled, then I will happily do all those things. But in the process, you are going to force me to draw a line which is going to frustrate you even further. If you just go back to bed now, it will be simpler for us both. Tell me what it is that you want.

HYE-RYUNG
(whispers)
I want to be with you.
(looks down, tries to shake off emotions)
Gwi, do you remember when you told me that we could never be more to each other? That I had to just live one day at a time?

GWI
Yes.

HYE-RYUNG
Is that still true?

GWI
I can't say that I know for sure, though it's not as hopeless as it was before. There's nothing we can do without the blessing of the gods, unless I want to face another long-lasting punishment. In general, gods are meant to keep to their own circles. Humans are normally off limits. But there have been rare exceptions in the past. And somehow the gods seem to be favouring us, at least for now.

HYE-RYUNG
Is it possible that they'll change their minds and betray us? Will they separate us again?

GWI
It is unlikely that they will change their minds. They are not a capricious lot. If anything, it will probably come down to how far we're willing to go to stay together. But any real changes between us would require their approval.

HYE-RYUNG
I would do anything they wanted to be able to stay with you. If I invoke someone or pray to them, will it make any difference?

GWI
What is it that you would ask for?

HYE-RYUNG
(head down, quietly)
More.

Images flash through Gwi's mind of all the things HR has been thinking of – proposal, wedding ceremony, marriage, making love, children, daily life together.

GWI
Hmm. I've just seen it. You mean quite a bit more then.

HYE-RYUNG
(horrified, embarrassed, still in turmoil)
You've seen it? What did you see? I thought you couldn't read my thoughts.

GWI
I can't. The gods just made me one of the recipients of your prayers, at least that set of prayers, which is a surprise to me as well. They wouldn't normally do that.

HYE-RYUNG
Do all your friends know everything I think and feel? Does Tae? It's so humiliating.

GWI
(takes her face in his hands)
Hye-ryung-a, please don't be embarrassed. They don't all know. Tae will know them because he's your guardian, but even then, what do you have to be ashamed of? Wanting the same things that most other humans want? Wanting to feel loved and satisfied? Wanting to give love to others? You are only hoping for good things. Don't feel humiliated.

HYE-RYUNG
(desperate and fishing)
It is awful feeling so exposed. You always seem to know everything about me and yet I don't know anything about what you think or feel.

GWI
Nothing? That is not true at all.
(pause)
But you're right, it's not quite fair. Do you want to know how I felt to receive your prayers?

HYE-RYUNG
How?

Gwi takes one of HR's hands in his and looks at her smiling. There's a pause and then HR gasps loudly in complete and utter surprise. She tries to hold back but starts laughing and crying, like a spring of life welling up and gushing out of her. HR continues to try to control it but she simply can't.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Gwi, make it stop. I can't take it.

Gwi stops the feeling but is overcome himself and kisses HR.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
(breathless and still riding on the feeling)
What was that? I've never felt anything like it.

GWI
It was joy. The gods feel everything more deeply than humans. Isn't it nice to feel like a god for a moment? Do you still feel embarrassed?

HYE-RYUNG
No. I'm too happy to care.
(kisses Gwi)

GWI
(pulls back after a moment)
Now is the time for you to return to your room, I think.

HYE-RYUNG
(keeps kissing his face)
Just a few more minutes.

GWI
You know, I may be more than a man but I have my limits too, my dear. You shouldn't try so hard to tempt me.

HYE-RYUNG
Just a few more kisses and then I'll go. Really.

HR'S NEW ROOM

HR paces in the dark, fanning her face with a fan.

HYE-RYUNG
He was right. This is even more frustrating, but it was worth it.
(pause)
I hope the gods send him that thought as well.

GWI'S ROOM

Gwi looks towards HR's room and smiles.