42

EXT. GARDEN – NIGHT

Gwi and HR walk around the garden.

GWI
Are you sure you're not tired?

HYE-RYUNG
I couldn't sleep if I tried. I'm so happy. That was the best dinner party we've ever had.

GWI
I hope the guests are half as pleased.

HYE-RYUNG
They're all so lovely. You must have missed them terribly.

GWI
Yes, I had forgotten actually. It was such a long time without them.

HYE-RYUNG
It must have been awful for you in the beginning. I still get angry thinking about it. I don't think the gods were right at all to be so harsh.
(wanting to think about happier things)
Can we have dinner parties often now?

GWI
(laughs)
We'll see. People will find it tiresome if we ask them here all the time.

HYE-RYUNG
Gwi?

GWI
Hmm.

HYE-RYUNG
What was Tae upset about? Soo-ji said he wasn't happy when everyone went quiet. I don't really understand what happened.

GWI
(smiles)
Just a disagreement over my character flaws.

HYE-RYUNG
What flaws?

GWI
I'm sorry, my dear. The specifics are between me and Tae. Maybe I'll tell you someday how lacking and defective I am. Though you've seen enough of that to last a lifetime already, I think.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh, don't say that. I never thought of you as defective.

GWI
It's a wonder how you managed that.

HYE-RYUNG
(considers this, pensive)
I suppose I never thought any of it really had you. I mean, the mess you were in and who you are always seemed like clearly separate categories. And I loved who you are.

Anyway, Tae being upset didn't spoil the party for either of you, did it?

GWI
(full of brotherly affection)
Not at all. If we're together we have to disagree about something. It would be unnatural otherwise. The guests were only worried because we sometimes get fairly heated. Many of them have had to intervene in the past. In a way, it probably made everyone feel like nothing has changed, and there's something comforting about that.

HYE-RYUNG
I feel somewhat jealous of them all.

GWI
Why?

HYE-RYUNG
They've known you for such a long time. They seem to know so much more about you than I do. Everyone had so many happy memories to talk about tonight. And they were all stories I knew absolutely nothing about.

GWI
Would you rather be in their position than here with me now then?

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles)
Never.

GWI
Don't worry too much about feeling jealous. They have known me for eons. Just remind yourself that you don't have to compete with them if you ever feel low or left out.
(holds her)
You're here with me now, and you're closer to me in ways that none of them have ever been before and never will be. Feeling like you know me less or are not as close to me as they are will fade with time.
(HR smiles)
What?

HYE-RYUNG
You always help me and reassure me at the same time, without ever making me feel foolish. I don't know how you do that.

HR looks up at the moon smiling, yawns.

GWI
Right, definitely time for bed then.

HYE-RYUNG
(dreamy)
I hope every night with you is like this one. Like a dream that never ends.

GWI
Not very practical, but romantic.

HYE-RYUNG
Just so.

HR and Gwi leave the garden, holding hands.