34

INT. GWI'S ROOM – DAY

SEASON LATE SUMMER

Gwi stands in his room, reading through the stack of letters that HR has been piling up, his heart breaking. HR enters with another letter with her head down so she doesn't notice Gwi until she's closed the door and turned back around. She drops her letter, starts shaking her head and crying.

HYE-RYUNG
Not again. Please. I can't take it. How can I survive when you only come to me like this? It's only a moment now until I wake up in despair.
(changing, wilder, comes closer to him)
Stay. Please stay longer, as long as you can. Don't leave me again. I'm not strong enough to bear being alone.

GWI
(with sadness)
Hye-ryung-a, come here my love.

HR comes around the table to stand in front of Gwi. Gwi cups HR's face and kisses her gently. HR clings to Gwi's forearms with desperation.

GWI CONT'D
I'm here. This isn't a dream. It's me this time.

HR looks up at him and down, looks at herself clinging to him and completely loses control. She throws her arms around Gwi, burying her head in his chest, crying uncontrollably and shaking.

HYE-RYUNG
(with difficulty around crying)
Is it really you? Please God let it be you. Don't leave me again. Please don't go away. I'm not managing here without you.

GWI
(holding her, comforting)
Okay, it's okay now. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. I have more control over where I can be.

HYE-RYUNG
(still trying to calm herself)
Why?

GWI
I've reconciled with the gods.

HYE-RYUNG
The gods. Damn them all. Your brother deserted me ages ago. No one listens. No one responds.

GWI
(smiles)
Well, they certainly like you. Though they do think you need some work on your patience.

HYE-RYUNG
Patience. What right do they have to snatch away the best thing in my life? And to keep it from me with no end in sight?

GWI
(holds her tightly again)
It's the sort of thing they do my dear, for our sake, if you can imagine. No need to worry now though. I have no plans to leave you.

HYE-RYUNG
Will you just hold me forever?

GWI
(laughs)
I think you'll probably get bored at some point before forever. Or maybe need to eat.

HYE-RYUNG
Never.

Gwi pulls back and looks at HR more closely.

GWI
You do look thinner. Let's eat something. I'll find a servant.

Gwi starts to move towards the door, but HR won't let go. She clings onto Gwi's arm, obviously afraid to let him out of her sight. The extent of HR's fear saddens Gwi.

HYE-RYUNG
(small smile, trying to shake off her nerves, as if this weren't about being afraid)
I'll go with you.

GWI
(decides to give in for now, takes her by the hand)
Come on then.