44

INT. GWI'S ROOM – DAY

Gwi sits at the table looking at papers. From the adjoining door-

HYE-RYUNG
Your Majesty?

GWI
Come in, my dear.

HYE-RYUNG
Hello, Your Majesty.

GWI
Good morning. Have you had breakfast?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes.

GWI
Would you like to come with me? I need to see my first charge. It is not far from here. We could walk if you like.

HYE-RYUNG
You have a charge? How exciting. Will you tell me all about them on the way or do you have to keep it secret?

GWI
(laughs)
Come along. I'll tell you what I can as we go.

EXT. OUTSIDE SMALL HOME/PATH – DAY

Gwi and HR approach a small but clean home. A boy of four is drawing with a stick in the dirt, telling a story to himself about a little pig.

GWI
I've covered us so that no one can see or hear us. You can speak normally.

HYE-RYUNG
You never told me you could do that.
(now worried)
Do you often make yourself invisible?

GWI
(smiles)
It's not a power used for spying or eavesdropping. It's only for charges, to be unhampered when we want to give them something. I could also make us look different, like Tae did when he spoke with you in the market as a boy. But this is the simplest way.
(walking into the yard)
Give me a minute to speak with him.

HR stands to the side and watches, fascinated. Gwi bends down in front of the boy.

GWI
(referring to the drawing in the sand, which doesn't really look like a pig)
Is this a good pig?

BOY
This is a very good pig.

GWI
What makes him good?

BOY
He is kind and he helps his friends.

GWI
Are you like him?

BOY
Yes.

Gwi puts his hand on the boy's head, the boy hums happily and quietly while Gwi speaks. HR is enamoured seeing Gwi speak to a child for the first time.

GWI
May the light shine on your face. May your kindness grow. May you see the joy and sense in sacrificing for your friends and family.

BOY
Okay!

Gwi smiles, gets up and turns to leave, reaching out for HR's hand and they walk back.

EXT. PATH AWAY FROM HOME – DAY

HYE-RYUNG
I thought you said he couldn't hear or see us.

GWI
He can't. He is using another sense that you don't have a word for. It's a function of the spirit. Children are able to do it, poorly, but he will lose the ability completely over time not knowing that it exists.

HYE-RYUNG
Can it be learnt?

GWI
Yes.

HYE-RYUNG
Will you teach me how to do it?

GWI
I can, but you can also just call Tae and he would come. You know who he is so there's no need for him to hide himself. I'm not even sure if you need to invoke him at this stage; your communication links seem to be fairly strong.

HYE-RYUNG
Still, it would be fun to learn.

GWI
As you wish. What do you think of my charge?

HYE-RYUNG
He is such a sweetheart. I've never seen you with a child before.

GWI
Was that surprising? Almost all charges are babies or very small when we receive them.

HYE-RYUNG
It's just new and different. I like you like this. Can I come with you to see all your charges?

GWI
(laughs)
Well, I only have the one so far. And you'll get bored very quickly. This is work after all.

HYE-RYUNG
I don't find it boring. I like seeing you work. I thought though that we'd be here longer.

GWI
No, these visits are normally brief. Unless there's something unusual happening, it's just a chance to see them and give some encouragement, even if they don't hear it, they can receive it if they are open enough.

HYE-RYUNG
So Tae has been doing this to me my entire life? How often?

GWI
It doesn't work by your timeline so it would seem random to you. He would have done it regularly on our timetable and also more frequently when there was a need. I suspect he visited often in the time- when we- when things were more strained between us. And when you were alone. Most certainly.

HYE-RYUNG
I wish I could know what he said then.

GWI
Maybe someday. Now, shall we go to the market and spoil you horribly? I think we should.

HYE-RYUNG
Oh no, it's wasted on me, Gwi, honestly. I never know what to get.

GWI
Let's go anyway. You can buy gifts for Kim Mi-sook and anyone else you like.

Gwi and HR turn down a corner.