[ 045 ] the art of a red scarf

𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗜 ━━ 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧 𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗥𝗧
045. the art of a red scarf

WIZARDING WORLD, 1967

          𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗪𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗪𝗔𝗦 𝗗𝗔𝗠𝗣. Nothing about the dull sky or the rows of leaden grass made her feel particularly buoyant in the middle of the October day—along with a salty taste on her tongue. One big, fat cloud loomed over the place, quite dense which made everybody feel chilly.

      It was not chilly near the start of the day when she was getting ready for the ball her parents were throwing. The sun was blooming, the birds were singing and Scarlet was bored of changing outfits according to her mother's suggestions.

      At the age of seven, Scarlet yet had a lot of manners and responsibilities to get used to. So, when her mother allowed her to wear her favourite emerald dress that reached below her knees along with a sparkly pair of flats, she felt lit up. Around her neck was a brand-new crimson scarf she was gifted on Christmas.

She jumped a little on her feet, feeling giddy in her new shoes; a grin was on her face. One that her father did not approve of. "Wipe that grin off your face, do not behave that way in front of our guests,"

"Zircon, she's a little girl," Celeste whispered to her husband, quietly smiling at her daughter who then frowned.

"It's unpleasant enough we don't have an heir to the bloodline," Zircon seethed, "The least you could do is prepare her to be the perfect trophy so nobody complains,"

Celeste fell silent instead of protesting, running a hand through Scarlet's hair to soothe it straighter. The knock on the door perked up her excitement because the attention from her was snatched.

      The house-elf Jaggy opened the door and instantly ran away, Zircon had advised the house-elf to not present himself in front of the guests and stay hidden in the kitchen.

"Druella, it's been so long," Celeste pleasantly smiled, shaking her hand.

Scarlet stood on her tip-toes by the stairway, raising her chin to see three girls in similar dresses. One with raven hair, one with dark brown, and the shortest one of them with longer and straighter blonde locks that resembled Scarlet's.

      To say the day was boring would be an underestimate. The manor was soon filled up with familiar and unfamiliar faces, and Scarlet was growing restless about faking a smile and greeting everybody.