[ 026 ] something to lose

𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗜 ━━ 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧 𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗥𝗧
026. something to lose

          𝗦𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗟𝗬, 𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗘𝗬𝗘𝗦 𝗢𝗣𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗗 𝗜𝗡 𝗔 𝗧𝗜𝗥𝗘𝗗, 𝗔𝗖𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗪𝗔𝗬—𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬 first thing she saw when they opened was Sirius Black. Through her squinted eyes and foggy eyesight from the after-sleep haze, the first thing she noticed was Sirius' face, still directed to the ceiling, still leaning against the headboard instead of fully lying down.

      He stayed. She did not have to give him a reason, and he didn't ask for it either. Staring at his sleeping, peaceful face, her heart patterned against her chest. Something was swirling in her stomach, and the feeling blossomed and flowered and travelled upwards the more she stared at him.

      She realised out of everyone, it was Sirius Black that made her heart feel so full yet he did not even know about it.

      It was a scary thing, she always thought, when you realise someone holds this sort of impact on your life. If somebody became something to you, they also became something to lose, too. To her, it was a bad thing, a scary thing to have someone mean so much. 

"Enjoying the view, Blondie?" His hoarse, sleeping tone came as he whispered.

She threw her head back, mentally slapping herself. "Shut up, Black,"

His eyelids fluttered open as he came to his senses, eyes glimmering as he stretched his back. "How long have you been up?"

"Quite some time," she whispered back, she couldn't help but smile.

"Spent quite some time staring at me?"

"Don't flatter yourself," she smiled.

"Too late, I'm already flattered," he softly replied with the sentence he once used before, his tone still rested.

Letting out a tiny breath, he raised his hand and placed his fingers softly on her temple, pushing her hair away to see her face as he spoke to her.

"How'd you sleep," she asked genuinely, wanting to know.

She rolled her eyes up to the ceiling for a moment, fearing if she looked at him any longer, her heart might blast open. "Best sleep of my entire life," she joked, humourlessly. "Twas' splendid."

Suddenly, his hand lingered on the side of her head. His thumb razed the skin of her temple and his fingers bathed in the softness of her hair, resting there delicately.