Wattpad Original
There are 51 more free parts

Odd

adjective ~ different from what is usual or expected

CHARLIE

Being completely sober in a room of drunken laughter wasn't as bad as I thought. Having a sober mind gave me great concentration. I got to watch all the high ranked wolves make fun of themselves, stumbling, with bellowing laughter as they celebrated. It had been a while since so many wolves gathered and grew merry.

The last time was the coronation, and you were only allowed two drinks at that one.

Crazy right? Only two drinks!

But back on the subject of being sober and wise, it always gave me the greatest opportunity to weasel out the haters. Much to my assumption, Alpha Grey was sober; the same glass of champagne in his hand as an hour ago. How I knew? I could smell its warmth and his sweat along the stem.

My wolf may be crazy, but Axel was one of the best trackers out there. When Phoenix and I tamed him more, we even had packs reaching out to borrow me. Jokingly, they should've paid me, but I realised it would come across as a little taboo to pay a man for his services.

I snorted to myself, walking around the room to meet Sean. He was gruffly stood, his arms crossed as he eyed the room. He was larger than me, so I matched his stance to look less puny.

"Evening." I mumbled.

He raised an eyebrow. "What do you want?"

"Anything unusual?"

"Nothing too bad," He muttered.

My jaw tightened as I watched Pollux inhale yet another cupcake. I feared it wouldn't be long before he wandered back to his room. Then I'd have to leave.

Sad times.

Glancing at Sean, I pried into his mind, and he let me through. Does Alpha Grey seem strange to you?

'You mean besides the sneer and lack of conversing with others?' Sean's voice was mocking.

The warm, flat champagne, too. I smirked.

'I have been watching him.' He nodded.

Good. I dropped my stance, moving a step away from him. He keeps staring at Pollux.

Sean's eyebrow quirked as he stared at the two. 'Nova too.'

My beast grumbled, protective of his tiny luna. He will do nothing. Anywhere he goes, you follow him.

Sean turned to me, amused. 'Last I checked, I was in charge of security.'

I frowned, huffing. "I am beta, so I'm pulling rank."

"You are sober. You are grumpy." He stated.

I shook my head. "I am enjoying it."

"You want your mate."

"Shush!" I hissed, glancing around. "Don't draw attention to her."

He chuckled, and the teasing softened the mood. I sighed, standing beside him once more as my eyes flickered over my cupcake-inhaling brood for the evening, before settling on my mate. She was smiling softly at something Molly had said, the two of them free from the infants. As it was so late, both the alpha and delta pups retired back to their bassinets atop the stairs. There were guards on either side, and nobody but the nursemaids or their parents could go near.

Not only that, but I was certain Nova would know if anything was wrong. Besides her uncanny ability to see the future, she was so in-tune with her young that she could probably read their damn minds.