Wattpad Original
There are 102 more free parts

Protective

Welcome back to the lost luna series!!! remember this isn't a standalone, it's book four!!
***

adjective ~ capable of or intended to protect someone or something from harm or injury

NOVA

When someone told me the best part of being a mother was my children, I believed them. It was true, of course, the twins were my greatest gift. But over the course of the first few days, I had learnt that the greatest part of bringing life into the world is how much life I brought into everyone else's.

Despite the exhaustion, the achy boobs, the headaches, the emotional downfalls... Well, the list could go on, if I am being honest. Despite all that, I have never felt so loved and full of love.

The twins were just shy of four days old, and we were back home. After falling in and out of sleep the night of their birth, I decided I wanted to go home. The four walls of the hospital sent me into a strange sense of restriction. Phoenix's blood healed me up well, and thankfully, everyone had left us alone.

Not that they were not allowed, but... Well... They were not allowed.

My wolf could not settle. The moment the concept of visitors even came to light, she had her hackles up and, in turn, made me feel threatened. Kate had said it was most likely a hormone thing. She encouraged me to go home and try to settle my mind in familiar surroundings.

Phoenix did what he could to soothe me, and mostly, it worked. I could stomach Pollux and Kate being around the twins, my wolf comfortable that they were fine, but I haven't even seen my parents yet.

We were testing it out today, and I was nervous. The twins were about to see how far mamma-bear, or should I say, mama-wolf, was going to take this. I could feel the tension in my bones as the hours ticked by and although I was on edge, I couldn't wait to see them.

"Oh, Nova!" A voice sang through the door.

I was busying myself in the kitchen, preparing a pot of hot water. Pollux's voice had the hairs on the nape of my neck stand up and I spun around to face the front of the house. They were here already?

I eyed the clock, finding it was already three. I must've done a good job of distracting myself.

My nostrils flared as I slowly approached the door, setting the teapot tray on the coffee table. Knowing who was on the other side, my palms became sweaty with nerves.

"Y-yeah?" I called back.

Pollux huffed, and I heard him shift his weight. I could imagine the look on his face; arms crossed; hip popped... I couldn't smell them very well thanks to the seal in the door, but my body hummed with the familiar bond of my parents.

"You going to let us in, honey?" My mother's voice drifted through the wood.

I swallowed. Was I?

Was I about to invite people into my home? Into my nest? This was my sanctuary where I healed from my labour, my home where I slept and paced the night through with the twins. The home filled with the scent of my family, of my mate...

"Nova?" Phoenix's voice approached me from behind. "Everything okay, my love?"

I turned, eying the sleeping infant in his arm. Annabelle was a good sleeper, always drifting off after a feed and content in her father's arms. Freddy was asleep in his basket in the living room, and I sniffed to make sure he was okay. The steady rhythm of his heart reassured me he was still asleep.

"Why don't you let them in?" Phoenix murmured, reaching around me.

His body pressed into my side, Annabelle sighing softly as she brushed past my ear. My jaw tightened, eyeing the door before looking around at the state of the house. I tried to keep up with the chores, but between two babies and a lack of sleep, it was hard.