Wattpad Original
There are 61 more free parts

Cautious

adjective ~ careful to avoid potential problems or dangers

NOVA

"Nova, please stop pacing. You're going to turn into a static ball."

Pausing my movements, I scowled at my mate. He was leaning against the kitchen island, arms crossed on the marble countertop as he stared at me.

"I cannot help it. I'm nervous."

He inhaled deeply, pushing himself from the counter. I watched him with wide eyes as he approached me and wrapped his hands around my hips.

"It's understandable to be nervous," His thumbs dug into my sides. "But it will be okay. You know that, right?"

I sighed, my forehead falling onto his chest. It was my first time being away from the twins since the moment they were born; the moment we even conceived them. Now that would be enough to make any new mother nervous, but today also marked the first time I shifted in ten months. I feared losing control, that Celimene's instincts would take over and I would be lost in the darkness of my mind.

A knock at the door startled me and a sharp gasp escaped my lips as my head spun toward the door. I had been pacing past it for the past ten minutes, but now I feared opening it. Opening it meant letting them in.

Phoenix mumbled something I didn't hear, stepping around me to wrap his fingers around the door handle. He gave me a once over before pulling it open, and the broad grins of my parents embraced me.

"Phoenix! Hi honey!" Mum beamed.

He returned the pleasantries, bending down to kiss her cheek as she came in for an embrace. It always amused me, yet softened a part of my anxiety seeing how well he reacted to their presence. Dad was next, patting my mate on the back before stepping inside, sucking air through his teeth.

"Ember, you alright, duck?"

I scowled at him, crossing my arms. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, usually you are in my arms by now." He grinned.

I rolled my eyes, taking two steps forward to hug my dad. "There, better?"

He laughed when I stepped away, shaking his head. "I am not sure that counted. It was very emotionless."

My scowl deepened, but Mum batted him away after Phoenix took her coat. She approached me and gave me a firm hug before standing at an arm's length. Her head dipped, eyes trying to study my face for any conversation piece.

"What's wrong?" She wondered.

"She's nervous," Phoenix answered when I hesitated.

"What for?" Mum frowned, turning to him.

"Leaving the twins,"

My glare turned to my mate next, and I crossed my arms with a huff. "Tattle tale."

He smirked, leaving the coat hooks to approach the three of us. Dad had wandered off somewhere, and when I heard a clatter of china, I knew he was in the kitchen raiding my cupboards.

"Reginald." Mum scolded him, picking up on it too.

"What? I'm thirsty." He pouted at her. "Besides, I need to learn my way around this kitchen."

Mum tutted, rolling her eyes to look back at me. "There is nothing to be nervous about. We can look after babies, Nova. They are in the comfort of their home with us. It'll be okay."

"I know. But, I can't help it." I muttered.

She rubbed my shoulders with a sad smile. "I know."

"A cuppa will help." Dad hollered.