Wattpad Original
There are 64 more free parts

Stay

verb ~ to remain in the same place

POLLUX

The human in the café had become a new obsession. Despite having only been around them for a few days, I grew curious about who they were.

It was my last day in this town, and I went to the café earlier than usual. Clover was behind the bar, and their eyes widened as I approached the counter. I couldn't help but smile as they grew flustered.

"Pollux, you are here half an hour early. Are you feeling okay?" They smiled.

I chuckled, digging my hands into my pockets as I swayed slightly on my feet. "I had nothing to do today, and I figured I would make the most of my last day here."

"You're leaving?" Their face dropped.

A pang of something struck my chest and sank to the bottom of my stomach.

"Well-yeah-maybe, I am supposed to as I only booked my hotel for a certain amount of time but... I quite like this town." I stammered, holding their gaze.

They blushed. "Well, will it be the usual?"

"You know me well," I grinned, pulling my money from my pocket.

"No-no, this one is on me. It is your last day, after all." They shook their head.

"Never, I have to pay cash," I insisted. "How about you owe me with five minutes of your day?"

Clover blushed and cast a glance at their co-worker, who was smirking.

"There's only two other customers. I think I can handle it." The co-worked shrugged.

Clover let out a low puff of air. "Okay, deal. I will bring your coffee to your table."

"And yourself," I grinned, tapping the counter top as I left.

I chose the same seat as always, staring out the window at the bright horizon. I sighed, content, as I gazed across the skyline. It was strange how the smallest of places could feel so familiar and peaceful.

Not a minute later, Clover came over with my coffee and hesitantly sat down in the chair opposite me. I grinned, thanking them and unwrapping the biscuit that they always gave me with my coffee. I noticed they had a tall cup for themselves, and pulled it close to their stomach.

"Thanks for sitting with me," I smiled, taking a bite.

"Well... of course," they mumbled, shy.

"I will not bite." I laughed, pushing a tendril of hair behind my ear.

"I'm sorry, I'm just nervous," they admitted.

"That's understandable, since I dragged you away from work." I mused. "I may be blunt, Clover, but you intrigue me."

"I-I do?" They stuttered.

I grinned. "Yes, in a totally non-creepy way."

"Oh," They blushed. "Thank you?"

I chuckled, sipping my coffee to stare out the window again. "Have you lived here long?"

"My whole life." They shrugged.

My eyes widened. "Really? And uh... how many years is that?"

They giggled. "Twenty years, Pollux."

I smirked, shrugging my shoulders. "It's a long commitment."

"It is." They nodded. "But I loved it here. It's rare we get visitors that stay. Most travellers just pass through our small town. So I must say you... intrigued me too, Pollux."