Chapter Forty-Eight

H'chakde 

The time after the blooding hadn't been as celebratory as H'chakde initially hoped. Between Kayla healing, and her worrying over Skylar's health, there hadn't been time for the usual festivities the yautja held, or time to relax. Even now, while Kayla was in the medbay checking on her friend, he was setting up the room to house a couple of extra guests. Time he would have spent planning a hunt with Kweide.

This was a task he had been working on for the better part of the day. Rearranging, making room for Kayla's trophies and installing hooks to hang her armor and weapons. It was a semi-permanent arrangement, just something she could use till she could get home once again. She had mentioned getting Skylar home, perhaps since they both made it out, his ooman would want to follow.

Once he became satisfied by the organization, and hook placement, he turned his attention to other matters. Specifically, the bed situation. He would be taking the mattress that was once Kayla's, while her and Sklar took his.

He pulled some of the extra blankets from the mattress off and tossed them toward the bed, he wouldn't have use of them anyway, and they were needed. Kayla had very particular instructions on making the place suitable for Skylar, and Skylar's other. . .friend.

He took up one of the more plush furs and folded it before placing it on the floor on the side Skylar would lay. Far away from him and Kayla as the room could allow. He feared little in his life, and that thing was part of the small list. If it weren't for how stressed Kayla had been, there would have been more of an argument. However, that stress was unnecessary for her.

Turning back to the bed, he began adding his own little flair to the blankets. Taking the two largest furs, he formed a nest-like shape on the bed. Hopefully, Skylar would find it comfortable, and that it would prevent her from rolling off and onto the steel floor.

He added the pillows next put in a way that would properly cradle Skylar's head. Hopefully it'd make it easier for Kayla to give her friend food and water.

H'chakde turned at the sound of the door sliding open, Kayla slipped in, walking toward the table littered with her trophies. She wore a splint around her calve, and her patched up cuts were already healing. They would make fine scars, H'chakde was certain of it.

Kayla slumped against the chair before allowing herself to lean against the table. H'chakde wouldn't be surprised if after all this she grew ill again. There hadn't been a moment absent of excitement or stress.
"How is Skylar?" He asked, abandoning his work and coming to sit beside Kayla. She lifted her head only enough to turn it so only her ear rested against her folded arms.

"She's-" Kayla took a deep breath before continuing, her gaze flicking up to meet his. "Alive, she was asleep when I left, thankfully the surgery went well. I'm not sure how she'll be when she wakes up. She's- torn up about Kweide."

"They seemed close," H'chakde pushed back a loose strand of hair from Kayla's eyes. "She will heal from it, the same as she will her other wounds." He still understood very little of ooman emotions, but he did know things like death affected them differently.

"She will, it may take awhile, years even but that's normal." Kayla's brows furrowed as she reached out to put her hand over his. Her thumb softly rubbing along the space between his thumb and pointer finger. "How are you holding up?"

H'chakde shook his head, "I didn't go hunting, so I am not-"

"No, no himbo." She shook her head giving him a brief weak smile before it fell. "I mean about Kweide."