Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen: Kayla

Kayla's breath hitched as she began being pulled from her sleep. The pain that ran up her abdomen was so overwhelming it was all she could seem to focus. Taking a deep breath she pushed herself up, grunting as she did so, the pain worsening with every move.

"Deep breaths, deep breaths." She said through clenched teeth as she leaned forward. Kayla placed her hand gently on her aching side as her eyes began glancing around the room.

Based on the metal bed lining the wall, she concluded she was back in the medical room. Her eyes moved to a screen not too far from where she was. The images on it catching her attention almost immediately.

She pushed herself off the examination table and began walking over to it. Diagrams and scans of a human body were plastered all over the screen, and they were oddly familiar. A sense of unease washed over Kayla when she realized the diagrams were of her own body.

The door opened behind her, but she was way too entranced with the images to look back. It was only when a shadow like being made its way into her peripherals did she finally jump and turn toward it. There stood the eight foot tall creature Kayla had come to recognize as the groups leader. Staring at the screen right along with her.

"Fascinating isn't it?" He asked his inclined in her direction. Kayla wasn't sure how to respond at first, the fact he knew her language was startling enough for her. Remembering she wasn't supposed to be staring at him didn't remedy the situation any.

Kayla turned her head down to the floor. "Yeah. . .I guess if it's not yourself on the screen. . ." Her tone was mostly plain, holding only a hint of annoyance to it.

"I have been on the screen many a times little ooman, it is of interest as well. You are allowed to face me for now." He responded in an offhand manner, calm and in a way, almost playfully. Kayla laughed in response as she looked back up at him. For only a moment anyway, before her attention turned back to the screen.

"I'm not surprised by that. . .you seem like a bunch who gets hurt on a daily basis." Her tone was also playful as she studied the scans in front of her. She couldn't understand half of what she saw but she supposed that in a way, he was right. It was interesting to see the core of one's own body.

"Ah, you are not wrong in that assumption. We have broken bones more often than we sleep." He gave off a small trill before facing Kayla head on. "That is only an ooman hyperbole though. We more often give broken bones I assure you." His manner was not threatening, merely correcting. As if even he was unsure of his own words.

Kayla raised a brow a bit, adjusting her hand upon her side. "I've been in the same boat." Kayla responded, grunting a little at the ache in her body. "Maybe just not as intense."

Memories of basic training and other encounters she had in the coast guard began running through her mind. Their presence bringing a slight pang of sadness that lingered just a few moments longer then they had. The most prominent being of Morgan, her only other friend.

Kayla could picture him searching every nook and cranny of the planet. Vowing to leave no stone unturned until at least something of her was found. The thought of him having to go through so much trouble upset her. Especially when she knew his efforts would be fruitless. It only served to add to the sting of the running through her emotions.

"Oh? What was your boat like then?" The noticeable wave of interest and concern were both palpable in his voice. Kayla stared into his eyes a moment, completely dumbfounded.

"Oh, um. . .I should probably note it's not a literal boat." Kayla looked away, unsure of how to word her own explanation in a way he could understand. "But one doesn't go through the military without at least getting, and giving a few injuries." Kayla gave a frustrated sigh. "It's probably just not as often."

"Military. . .ooman warriors, they fight skillfully. Often bravely too." He noted glancing off as he was pulled away by a memory. "You are an ooman soldier?" Kayla nodded, refusing to hide the proud smile that pulled across her face.

Many people bashed her branch of the military. Assuming that because they more often than not stuck close to home they were babied more than others. Although true in some aspects, they still had to deal with their fair share of dangers. Hurricanes, tropical storms, and drug cartel aren't a joke.

"I am, although the branch I'm in often gets made fun of by other branches." Kayla shrugged wincing at the pain that shot up her side. "We pick right back of course, it's kind of like a sibling rivalry thing."

"Have you taken measures to challenge the other branches?" The Elder asked. "If you kill one or two they will fall in line and see your worthy skills. Or perhaps just a fight will put them in their place." He placed a firm hand on Kayla's shoulder in an encouraging manner. Kayla held back her snicker and simply shook her head before looking back at him.

"That's not how it works on my planet most of the time."

His eyes narrowed just a fraction, "That is unfortunate little ooman. For you are very skilled. It is lucky you are in a place now where you can earn rights and respect that way. You have already earned your right to train as we do."

"What?" Kayla took a step back shrugging away from his hand. It was the only word she could force from her mouth through the new layer of pure shock. How was this possible? But even as the question popped up she realized it didn't matter.

This was just another door open, another opportunity offered that would lead to their escape. And Kayla would be damned if she would squander it. She lowered her head a moment out of respect before looking back up at the leader. New found determination, relighting and kindling the fire in her eyes. "Thank you, it's a great honor."

"It will not be easy to become a warrior among us, but you have faced a challenge similar before. You can accomplish this goal again and even perhaps be equal to H'chakde one day." He seemed amused by what he said. Not in a demeaning way but more excitement for it.

Kayla nodded. She wouldn't kid herself, she knew this would be no easy task. Something that would certainly give her basic training a run for its money. If watching H'chakde would give her any idea of what it was going to be like.

"I can't wait for that day sir." Kayla's tone hardened some as she spoke. The sound of footsteps entering the area, made her attention shift toward their source. In walked the medic, with H'chakde in tow. A look of annoyance plastered on his face, and Kayla sighed.

Kayla was dreading the thought of having to go back with him. Not because he terrified her, although he did scare her some of the time. She mostly just found him irritating, and she was more than sure the feeling was mutual.

The Elder approached H'chakde and greeted him. "H'chakde. Your hunt went well for the both of you. You must be proud to now have someone to train." His comment was subtle, but it held a trace of venom. If he could smirk, Kayla was sure he would have.

Kayla could almost see the smoke rising from H'chakde, and smiled at this. He obviously had gotten what the Elder meant, and he couldn't do squat about it. H'chakde looked over at Kayla, her smirk only fanning the flames of pure anger in his eyes.

"I have to leave, someone desires knowledge on your well being." The Elder said, turning to face Kayla and then H'chakde. "The rules still stand, though they bend now within reason. She is yours to train, good luck young warrior." He left the room with a flourish and a trill of laughter that echoed behind him.

H'chakde staked over to Kayal and grabbed her by the arm. He conversed quickly with him, before continuing to drag Kayla from the room and down the hall. The roughness of his actions did nothing nothing but aide in making the ever present pain worse. And trying to pull away from him only made it much worse.

Despite the pain though, Kayla had never felt better. Satisfaction grew in her at the sight of his anger, and the fact he couldn't do anything about it only made it grow.

He was stuck with her, but sadly enough she was stuck with him as well. 'This is going to be one hell of a ride.' Kayla thought to herself. But she was ready for it.