78. Focus On Your Fear

Start from the beginning

All it meant in this instance was saying the spell, not performing it.

The complete opposite of what she was trained to do.

"After me. Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus", the rest of the class repeated.

"Very good", Lupin praised.

"A little louder and very clear. Listen ... Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" the class repeated louder and clearer, just as instructed.

"This class is ridiculous", Bel heard Malfoy mutter from the side of the class where he and his group of Slytherin followers were all huddled against the wall, sour expressions on their faces.

"Very good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing", their professor continued.

Bel was suddenly relieved that she had spoken to Harry prior to the lesson.

Laughter wasn't exactly in her capabilities before.

"Let me explain. Uh, Neville ... would you join me please?" Lupin called upon a terrified looking Neville.

Bel and Harry stepped apart to let him through to the front of the class, but Neville didn't move.

In all honesty, Bel was just glad Lupin hadn't picked on her.

Hopefully he got the message of how uncomfortable she was with it in the older classes.

"Come on, don't be shy. Come on", Lupin coaxed the boy gently, causing Neville to take the reluctant steps forward to meet the professor.

"Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?" he then asked.

Neville muttered something under his breath that no one could quite make out.

"Sorry?" Lupin said.

"Professor Snape", Neville announced louder, causing the class to giggle amongst themselves.

"Professor Snape. Yes ... frightens all", Lupin chuckled. "And I believe you live with your grandmother."

'Y-Y-Yes, but I don't want that boggart to turn into her, either", Neville stuttered, causing more giggles to echo out.

"No ... it won't. I want you to picture her clothes. Only her clothes, very clearly, in your mind", Lupin instructed.

"She carries a red handbag ..."

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it", Lupin silenced him.

"Now, when I open that wardrobe ... here's what I want you to do."

Professor Lupin then walked up to Neville, leaning down to whisper something in his ear.

"Can you do that?" the professor asked, and Neville nodded slightly.

"Yes. Wand at the ready", he continued, taking out his own wand.

"One. Two. Three."

With a very faint flick of his wand towards the wardrobe, Professor Lupin unlocked it, the door slowly creaking open.

Bel watched as Neville tried to stay put, his wand held firmly in his hand as he faced the wardrobe a few paces in front of her.

Suddenly, Professor Snape emerged out from the wardrobe, looking particularly sinister.

The door closed behind the boggart as it walked towards Neville, Professor Lupin whispering some words of encouragement to the boy.

"Riddikulus!" Neville shouted, pointing his wand at the figure of Snape.