Mass Breakout

Kreacher, it transpired, had been lurking in the attic. Sirius said he had found him up there, covered in dust, no doubt looking for more relics of the Black family to hide in his cupboard. Kreacher seemed to be in a better mood on his reappearance, his bitter muttering had subsided somewhat, and he submitted to orders more docilely than usual, though once or twice Y/N caught the house-elf staring avidly at him, always looking quickly away when he saw that he had noticed.

In fact, for the first time in his life, Y/N was not looking forward to returning to Hogwarts. Going back to school would mean placing himself once again under the tyranny of Dolores Umbridge, who had no doubt managed to force through another dozen decrees in their absence. Then there was Quidditch- but without Harry and the Weasley twins, and he had to deal with Ginny being on the team; and there was every likelihood that their burden of homework would increase as the exams drew even nearer; Dumbledore remained as remote as ever.

Then, on the very last day of the holidays, something happened that made Y/N's heart drop, but it had nothing to do with him.

"Harry dear," said Mrs. Weasley, poking her head into the room in which they were all at watching Ron and Harry playing wizard chess and Ron's bedroom, "could you come down to the kitchen? Professor Snape would like a word with you."

"Squash him — squash him, he's only a pawn, you idiot — sorry, Mrs. Weasley, what did you say?"

"Professor Snape, dear. In the kitchen. He'd like a word."

Everyone exchanged silent looks.

Harry's mouth fell open in horror. He looked around at Ron, Y/N, Hermione, and Ginny, all of whom were gaping back at him. Crookshanks, whom Hermione had been restraining with difficulty for the past quarter of an hour, leapt gleefully upon the board and set the pieces running for cover, squealing at the top of their voices.

"Snape?" said Harry blankly.

"Professor Snape, dear," said Mrs. Weasley reprovingly. "Now come on, quickly, he says he can't stay long."

"What's he want with you?" said Ron, looking unnerved as Mrs. Weasley withdrew from the room.

"You haven't done anything, have you?"

"Whatever it is, it can't be good considering he's here when we're supposed to be off," said Y/N, thinking about the reasoning behind Snape's appearance. he hadn't seen the Potions master since their last private lesson,

"No, no it cannot," said Harry indignantly.

Harry left, leaving the rest of them to debate what on earth Snape was doing here, and what he wanted with Harry.

It was, however, quite a surprise, when they heard the door to Grimmauld Place open approximate ten minutes after Harry had left to go downstairs.

Everyone, feeling particularly nosy at who had just entered the house, promptly were left with gaping mouths when they saw Mr. Weasley, smiling quite widely, dressed in a pair of striped pyjamas.

It was like a stampede of deer as they charged down the stairs just as Mr. Weasley opened the kitchen door.

"Cured!" he announced brightly to the kitchen at large. "Completely cured!"

He and all the other people living in the house froze on the threshold, gazing at the scene in front of them, which was also suspended in mid-action, both Sirius and Snape looking toward the door with their wands pointing into each other's faces and Harry immobile between them, a hand stretched out to each of them, trying to force them apart.

"Sirius, what the hell are you doing?" Y/N asked, shooting him a disappointed look. "You told me last year that you'd stop this nonsense with Snape."

Both Sirius and Snape lowered their wands, Sirius looking particularly disappointed in himself. Harry looked from one to the other. Snape pocketed his wand and swept back across the kitchen, passing the them all without comment. At the door he looked back.