The First Task

The next morning, Harry and Y/N woke and dressed quickly. They went down to the Great Hall, where Hermione was sat with Ginny eating breakfast. They waited until Hermione had eaten her last spoonful of porridge before dragging her out onto the grounds. There, they filled Hermione in about everything Sirius had said, and the dragons whilst they took a long walk around the lake.

Alarmed as she was by Sirius's warnings about Karkaroff, Hermione still thought that the dragons were the more pressing problem.

"Let's just try and keep you alive until Tuesday evening," she said desperately, "and then we can worry about Karkaroff."

"What exactly would we even do about Karkaroff anyway?" asked Y/N, skimming a stone over the lake, "It's not like Dumbledore wouldn't know, and we're only fourteen."

"Age has nothing to do with it," said Hermione, "We're strong, we'd think of something."

"Who are you and what have you done with Hermione Granger?" Y/N laughed.

They walked three times around the lake, trying the entire way to think of a simple spell that would subdue a dragon. Hermione suggested that Harry learn Sol Ruptis, but then Y/N reminded Hermione that it took him nearly three years to master it without Caym's help, and even then, it drained him completely after every use.

They retired to the library. They pulled down every book that they could find on dragons, and the three of them set to work searching through the large pile.

"Dragons are extremely difficult to slay, owing to the ancient magic that imbues their thick hides, which none but the most powerful spells can penetrate... but Sirius said just one simple spell would do it," Y/N read out, confused as to what his father had meant.

"Let's try some simple spellbooks then," said Harry, throwing aside his book.

He returned to the table with a pile of simple spell books, set them down, and began to flick through each of them in turn. Hermione quite annoyingly whispered as Y/N took out the book that Madam Pince gave him a few days ago. 

After about ten minutes, Hermione huffed loudly as the Durmstrang champion, Viktor Krum walked into the library, "Why can't he just read on his stupid ship?"

"Since when did you care about what Viktor Krum does?" Y/N asked curiously, watching Krum as he slouched into the corner with a pile of books. 

"Never mind, we'll go back to the Common Room... his fan club'll be here in a moment, twittering away..." Sure enough, as they left the library, a gang of girls tiptoed past them, trying to find Krum. 

Y/N didn't sleep very well that night. When he woke on Monday morning, he considered trying to talk to Ron, but he knew it would be futile. As he looked around the Great Hall at breakfast he thought about how different things might have been had Harry's name not jumped out of the Goblet of Fire. 

They would be sat as their Quartet, cheering on the Hogwarts champion tomorrow, Cedric Diggory. Instead, Y/N was desperately trying to figure out how Harry was going to survive a fight with a dragon first thing tomorrow morning. 

Before their next lesson, Harry spotted Cedric and told Y/N he would be back in  minute. Y/N decided to head to his lesson and Harry would follow suit shortly. 

Harry however, didn't appear until half-way through Herbology, uttering apologies to Professor Sprout as he hurriedly entered the greenhouse. 

"Y/N," Harry whispered, "Y/N, I need you to help me."

"What is it you think I've been trying to do these last few weeks?" Y/N responded, a hint of humour in his eyes. 

"I need to learn how to do the Summoning Charm properly by tomorrow."