Mixed feelings chapter 87: Out of pity

"Just to avoid any trouble.. make sure to let them know that I'll be there.." says Monette.
"Don't worry. I'll take full responsibility." says Gunner firmly.
(Monette's thoughts;) "..and, all that sweet talk hasn't changed either.. I know that he's always been this way, but.."
"Even so.. just in case it doesn't really go according to plan.. I'd have to sneak in anyways somehow." says Monette firmly.
"..You'd take it that far?" questions Gunner.
"Mhm.. what about it?" says Monette as she tilts her head to the side.
"..I appreciate it." says Gunner firmly followed by some silence.
"..yep.. talk to you later." says Monette before hanging up the phone.
"Now.. what's got you so upset?" questions Rachel.
"I'm not upset.." says Monette firmly.
*silence.*
"I'll wait." says Rachel as she starts tapping her foot on the floor.
"Uhm.. he said that it would be petty if he said no to my request so... we're doing it." says Monette still looking at the black phone screen.
"So it's happening..! cheer up." says Rachel as she taps monette's arm.
"I know but.. why'd he change his mind so fast is what I'd like to know." says Monette almost immediately.
"Call me delusional as much as you'd like but.. he probably didn't want to miss the opportunity to match with someone as stunning as you. Better yet.. we need to find you a dress and some cute accesoires now." says Rachel as she jumps up off the couch.
"..It just feels as if.." mumbles Monette as she looks down.
"Huh.." mumbles Rachel as she looks back at Monette.
"It's like.. I'm the only one that's actually looking forward to it.. I can feel that it's not coming from both sides." says Monette as she looks up at Rachel.
(Rachel's thoughts;) "..Damn.. I don't think I've ever seen Monette look this vulnerable before.. who even is this guy,, all I know is that he's her first crush.. but.. what does he even think his relationship is with my best friend?"
"I mean.. you never know." says Rachel as she sits back down.
"I just don't want to end up looking stupidly over excited when I'm there and he's.. you know.." says Monette as she leans her head against Rachel's shoulder. "The same as usual.. with that exact same look on his face.. almost like he's.. bored." she adds.
(Rachel's thoughts;) "Why does she sound so insecure now..? ..what happened to all the confidence that you had about a day ago?"
"I'd rather just prevent that from happening by.. not attending-" says Monette.
"You are going." says Rachel firmly.
(Rachel's thoughts;) "I simply just don't want her to regret that decision later on.."
"On a date with him." adds Rachel almost immediately.
*silence.*
"..Excuse me?" says Monette in disbelief.
*Meanwhile.*
"..I'm home.." mumbles Courtney as she slowly opens the door.
"Oh, hey courtney!" spouts Shaniah as she embraces her. "Welcome home." she adds with a big smile on her face.
(Courtney's thoughts;) "Well.. she seems happy?"
"H- hey.. listen.." says Courtney as she takes her jacket off. "I'm sorry for leaving the way I did.. can we talk?" she adds as she walks into the living room.
"WAIT.. DON'T GO IN THERE!" spouts Shaniah as she reaches out her arm.
"Why-" says Courtney as she looks at the couch. "Oh.. it's.. Jay." she adds.
"Courtney, I.. have something to confess." says Shaniah awkwardly as she takes a glance at Jay.
"Are you two dating now?" questions Courtney curiously.
"Y-..Yes.." mumbles Shaniah.
(Shaniah's thoughts;) "Something tells me that she saw this coming already.."
"..Finally." says Courtney as she sits down on the sofa. "He's asleep, right?" she adds.
"I'll make sure he is.. just in case." says Shaniah as she sneaks up on Jay.
"Uhm.. you don't have to knock him out.. I'm just asking." says Courtney as she quietly lets out some laughter.
"Wait what?" says Shaniah followed by a short pause. "I wasn't planning to do that at all.. although, that would actually be really random.. and hilarious." she adds.
(Shaniah's thoughts;) "Even if I say that.. I can't even imagine actually doing that to him."
"So.. it's official, huh?" questions Courtney with a little smirk on her face.
"I.. guess you could say that." mumbles Shaniah.
"I can't hear you." says Courtney sarcastically.
"It's official." says Shaniah almost immediately.
"Damn.. it is?" questions Jay as he sits up.
"JAY..! I THOUGHT YOU WERE ASLEEP.." spouts Shaniah in surprise.
"..I was.. up until I wasn't." says Jay followed by a short pause. "I mean.. since things are official, shouldn't you be the one laying here right about now?" he adds.
"Too much information." says Courtney as she rolls her eyes. "Oh, and.. here's the rent money for the next 3 months." says Courtney as she hands an envelope to Shaniah.
"I'll give you guys some privacy." says Jay as he leaves the living room.
"..How.." mumbles Shaniah in disbelief.
"I have my ways." says Courtney as she crosses her arms.
"D-did.." mumbles Shaniah as she moves in closer and whispers. "Did you get a sugar daddy?" she adds.
"NO? ..I WOULD NEVER DO SUCH A THING.." spouts Courtney as she averts her eyes. "Ugh, I can't believe you'd accuse me of something like that.." she adds.
"But still.. you can't blame me for being curious.. this isn't just a little bit of cash you know.." says Shaniah as she looks into the envelope.
(Courtney's thoughts;) "Now that I think of it.. dating old men for money doesn't sound like the worst job in the world though.."
"Moving on.." says Shaniah as she raises an eyebrow. "Courtney.. you need a boyfriend." she adds.
silence.
(Courtney's thoughts;) "I'm going to ignore what she just said."
"I missed you." says Shaniah as she crosses her arms.
(Courtney's thoughts;) "Well.. that's.. new."
"I- ..missed you too.." says Courtney as she looks away.
(Shaniah's thoughts;) "Obviously."
*Meanwhile.*
"Pass me my charger." commands Colt.
"Pretty please?" says Kailey as she sits up on the bed.
"Why should I beg? ..It's still my house and bed you're in." says Colt unbothered.
"Is that so? ..then grab it yourself, owner." says Kailey with a grin.
silence.
"You're lucky I'm into receiving commands from a man." says Kailey as she reaches for the charger on the floor.
"..So when are you leaving?" questions Colt irritably.
"Whenever you want me to." says Kailey as she hands Colt his charger. "Since.. this isn't my house, as you already mentioned." she adds.
"Thanks for the charger" says Colt. "Then.. you can leave now." he adds as he plugs in his charger.
"Yes, your majesty." says Kailey as she lets out a chuckle. "But.. before I head out.. I have a question to ask.." she adds as she puts her clothes back on.
"What?" questions Colt.
"Do you remember what happened at the mall?" questions Kailey curiously.
"..I've been to the mall too many times.. I don't know what you're talking about." says Colt unbothered.
"I guess I'll just get to the point then.." says Kailey irritably. "Why did you call me sexy that time?" she adds.
"It still isn't obvious why I said that?" questions Colt as he raises an eyebrow.
"No.. I wouldn't be asking if it was." says Kailey almost immediately.
(Colt's thoughts;) "What's wrong with this girl.. does she want to hear me saying it again that badly?"
"..What do you want me to say?" questions Colt.
"Just be honest.. was it a compliment.. or.. did you.. say it out of pity?" questions Kailey as she crosses her arms.
"Out of pity? ..Why would I.." mumbles Colt as he raises an eyebrow.
*Colt's flashback*
"I don't need your pity.. so stop telling me stuff that you don't actually mean.." says Monette angrily.
*End of flashback*
(Colt's thoughts;) "..Why did I get reminded of that?"
"What are you talking about..?" mumbles Colt. "Listen.." he adds as he rubs his hands over his face.
(Kailey's flashback;) "Shit.. now it's awkward.."
"It's taking you way too long to answer.." mumbles Kailey. "What? am I not good enough for you?" she adds.
"No- I- ..Let's talk later.. I've got something to do.." says Colt.
"Fine, then don't tell me.." says Kailey irritably. "Don't bother calling or texting me anymore either." she adds before leaving the room.
silence.
"..Fuck.." mumbles Colt as he lets out a frustrated sigh.