Chapter 13

Seyi P.o.v

I sat down beside the grave not minding whether my cloth would be stained by dirt.

"It's been seven years since I last saw your  face. I miss you. I really do." I mumbled.

It was only the sound of crickets that filled the silence.

I don't know why but I began to tell dead Jemima everything that had been happening.

"...in other words you can call me a jerk. I don't know why I'm behaving like this to everyone. I normally would not have reacted like that to Ola but... Recently I don't even understand myself."

"I never thought I would see someone here."

I flinched at the sound of a male voice.

I turned to see a middle aged man dressed in a khaki short and back shirt.

"Who are you ?" I managed to say. I've heard many incidents of death in Nigeria.

"I'm just someone that visits the cemetery."

I must have a look of horror plastered on my face when he added" what I mean is, I visit my wife every now and then."

I relaxed a bit. " Oh." Was all I said.

"Are you a relative of this family?" He asked.

"No. But I know that family. Why are you asking?".

"My wife died several years back so I normally drop by to drop flowers and talk to her thats when I noticed these graves. No one had come here either to drop flowers or anything as far as I'm concerned."

What about her relatives ?.

"Well I'm here now " i stated.

The man let out a sheepish smile." I managed to hear what you were saying."

"In other words you were eavesdropping."

"I was just curious of the person  by the grave. Mind if I join you."

"Sure." I said reluctantly.

He sat down beside me." When I lost my wife I fell apart.everything feel apart. She was my everything. She was what motivated me everyday to wake up and live my life but when she died in a car accident I lost every reason to live but I still had a daughter or rather daughters. It was them that helped alot. Especially one." He had a bright smile on his face.

" From what I managed to hear, you sound just like me in those years just that mine was a result of my wife's death but you..." His voice trailed.

"But me ?" I asked, curious of what he was going to say.

"You haven't let go of the pain. You still blame yourself even if it wasn't your fault am I right?"

"Do you know how they died?. I may have burnt her family."

He laughed."looking at the surname, it was a popular name back then. They died on the plane crash. It wasn't your fault at all."

"I should not have left Nigeria she came to visit me and now see what happened." I sighed.

"Whether you left or not the crash would still have happened and she would still have died. You have to let go of the pain. You never really grieved for her. I'm sure instead of grieving you filled your mind with regrets and guilt."

I stared at him with awe.

He smiled."I'm a doctor  So I understand all those things."

"So what should I do ?"