Chapter 30: Mercy, Part 2

Just so you guys know, this particular chapter has gone through at least 10 different rewrites throughout the past two years. So hopefully this final version comes out well. IMO, this is easily my most intense chapter yet. But before we dive into said tension, let's come back to one of the moments from the previous chapter.

"No, Angela."

"No, Angela!"
Snake turns his head, slightly surprised about Brock's volume.

I nod my head. "Good. Then you may go. And we'll get the others ready soon."
They turn around and prepare to walk out the door. "Oh and Brock?"

"Hmm?"

"Stay for a little bit. I have something I'd like to say to you. If you wouldn't mind."
Brock turns to Snake confused. But Snake shrugs and gives him an encouraging smile before walking out.

"Whatcha need?"

Angela stands up. "Assurance." He furrowed his eyebrows and she approached him. "You remember how many times I've stuck up for you. Yes? Even as far back as eyen you were still a small little twig. I've protected you through so much…."

Brock squints but smirks boldly. "Well, yes. Of course."

"Brock, I wanna be honest with you," she said. "I appreciate what you've been willing to do for me. And I appreciate having you by my side after everything. You're one of the people here who I trust the most. Truly. You're loyal. Dedicated. You're abteam player. Many other things but those three in particular? They mean a lot to me."

Brock nods his head. "Well, thank you. And surely you know, that you've earned all of that out of me."

"Correct. The others, they take some time to get with the program. Some of the others still hesitate. But you....very rarely have I ever had any issues with you. That's how loyal you are, and that's how loyal you've been to me."
Brock smiles proudly, almost flustered.
"....until recently."

Then Brock opens his eyes and squints. "I, uh, I don't get wha-"

"Did I say you could speak?!" Angela demanded. Brock just freezes up. Angela approaches him again. "When you split off from us on Saturday, Tabitha had quite a few things to say about you and your thoughts on what Johnson said to you."

Brock groans. "He just made me conflicted and confused. Nothing more-"

"No, she specifically said that you agreed with him. You agreed with him....in regards to what he said.about me." Angela steps closer. "I defended you, Brock, because I knew you were better than to think that way. But then I saw how you acted the other day. You kept having this look in your eyes at me, and you were quicker to speak out. Quicker to question."

"Well, isn't that what I was supposed to do?" Brock asked. "He kept accusing me and the others of not being a proper leader of our group, that I wasn't capable of it. I acted accordingly, and I made a decision on behalf of all of us."

"And you made that....because you didn't trust me."

"That's NOT what I said!"

"You didn't say that you did either!" she argued. "You took the advice of a Preacher's Pet who broke my nose, who made Tabitha doubt you, who kicked you in the nuts and humiliated your partners over me!"

Brock squints intently at her. "You're the one who just said he was right about you putting us in charge. I acted in charge!"

"All the while you went against me."

Brock scoffs. "Things got out of hand back there. It got too intense, we took too long. I know how you are. Sometimes you never know when the right time to quit is."