16. Worthy of being the Hokage?

As soon as Naruto reached the central tower and summoned Iruka from his collected scrolls, Naruto called for the ANBU placed at the central tower. He gave is an unconscious Sasuke and instructed him to admit to the ANBU hospital premises with S rank red-tape for anyone other than ANBU captains, ANBU commanders, the Hokage and himself. He then told Iruka to look after Sasuke as he himself went to meet the Hokage, already having send an emergency summon through Bela, one of his two messenger foxes.

He entered the room Hokage was in, completely sealed from any kind of eavesdropping and started his report. "Hokage sama! gennin Uzumaki Naruto reporting about infiltration of S-ranked nuke-Nin, Orochimaru. His objective for infiltration was to mark Uchiha Sasuke with cursed seal of heaven, so that he may have gennin Uchiha serve as one of his hosts. Possible chances of Invasion are also present!"

Hiruzen winced at hearing about his once favored student. Still, he controlled the guilt and regret showing on his face as he asked. "Was Orochimaru successful in his objective?"

"No Hokage-sama! Due to circumstances, he didn't take into account, he failed in his objectives." Naruto stopped for a second "Somehow Uchiha Itachi manifested himself. Even though it was an illusion, at that time it really looked real. The illusion of Itachi set Orochimaru on fire with some kind of black flames. That was able to distract Orochimaru for enough time that we can flee. 

Naruto felt bad a bit for hiding things from Hiruzen, but he can't take chances. He didn't know what Hiruzen would do after knowing he was from future. Naruto wasn't very keen on trying to test Hiruzen's fondness for him against the village. After all, Sandaime had turned blind eye on many horrible things Danzo had done. Naruto snorted as he added 'OfCourse, for the good of the village.'

"Why did you ordered Sasuke to be treated in high confidentiality with such selective clearance?" Sarutobi asked filing away information about Itachi's illusion. He thought it was one of the protections Itachi left for Sasuke.

"Sasuke had awakened the rinnegan, the fabled eyes of sage of six path, in his left eye. You can imagine what would happen if the words got out before we have the situation under control." Naruto replied.

Sarutobi's eyes widened with surprise as he shook his head murmuring "Twice in a single life!" 

"What do you mean Hokage-sama?" Naruto asked feigning confusion. He already knew the sandaime was talking about Nagato. Jiraiya would have told Sarutobi about it.

 "My student Jiraiya took some of orphans from Amegakure under his wings for few times. One of those had the rinnegan." Sarutobi explained as Naruto nodded.

Sarutobi asked few more things which Naruto replied with what was convenient for himself and his plans. Sarutobi then smiled at his surrogate grandson "You can be at ease now, Naruto-kun!"

Naruto relaxed as he returned the smile. The seals around room were brought down by Hokage and they began to talk about few other things.

"I will be announcing you as my apprentice and successor in the final round of the chunnin exams. The elders and Clan heads were already told about it. Of course, my teammates and Danzo were not happy. The clan heads were accepting though. Well, most of them worked under your father. So, that may have helped your case with them." Sarutobi said, his expression turning nostalgic when he talked about the yondaime.

Sarutobi had deemed him smart enough not to blab about his parents' identities seeing he kept secrets about his jobs at Hokage's office to himself. To his immense surprise, Naruto didn't even throw a small tantrum for not telling him sooner. He just smirked at Sarutobi, making it clear that he already knew about them for a while. The Sandaime hokage couldn't decide to weather be impressed with him for finding out S-ranked secret on his own or worry about the troubles he could get into.

"So, I can expect Danzo making troubles. No offense Jiji, but your teammates don't have enough backbone to do anything. They are just like dogs with too much bark and no bite." Naruto mused.

"None taken. But you should know if they had more bite, they would have been more troublesome to deal with!" Sarutobi agreed.

Suddenly one of ANBU flickered inside. He bowed at the Hokage "Hokage sama! The elders have called upon the Shinobi council. The clan heads have also been summoned."

Hiruzen dismissed the ANBU and shook his head. Leave it to Danzo to be so predictable.

"So soon huh!" Naruto murmured with a smirk.

"Shut up! Let's go and see why they are causing the ruckus!" Hiruzen grumbled.

[In the council chambers]

Everyone stood up in respect as Hiruzen arrived in the chambers and took his seat. Naruto stood behind him with a small amused smirk on face.

"Why have this meeting been called?" Hiruzen asked in authorative voice.

"We would also want to know that Hokage Sama!" Hisashi replied with all respect and grace a Shinobi can muster.

Homura stood up "We have summoned the council to stop you from announcing gennin Uzumaki as your apprentice and successor. He is far too young and immature for such responsiblity."

"And the clause says that in event of my death before Naruto turns 16, an acting Hokage will be established. Additionally, the acting Hokage will have the power to hand over the position to Uzumaki Naruto as he sees fit, once Naruto is of required age. And don't speak with me as if I am only your former teammate. I am your leader and you will address me as such." Hiruzen thundered.

Homura bristled a bit Koharu stopped him from retorting and possibly being detained for it. She can see how Uzumaki brat had the eager smirk on his face. She knew if the brat becomes the Hokage, their influence will be totally null. Uzumaki hates them with passion and she knew they have deserved the hate he carries for them. But that doesn't means she will accept it without trying. She believed that whatever she and her colleague had done was for good of the village. Including petitioning Uzumaki Naruto to be turned into a weapon for Konoha under Danzo.

Ofcourse, she doesn't knows Naruto didn't gave a fuck about what she did behind his back as it never was able to directly affect him. He just hates the old cronies as they were annoying and had a hand in spreading rumours about involvement of Uchiha clan in the Kyubi attack.

"We don't think he is qualified enough!" Koharu replied.

"And why is that?" Hiashi asked. "He has lineage as son of Yondaime Hokage and apprentice of Sandaime. He hails from one of legendary 5 clans. He has been trained by the Sandaime for handling the office after him."

"Mendukse! But I agree with Hiashi. On what grounds do you think he is not qualified?" Shikaku added.

Koharu bristled as she tried to think of an answer. She was relieved of it as Danzo answered in her place.

"Power. He lacks the power to be the strongest man in elemental nations." Danzo said.

"The Hokage have until today most influential and more powerful than other Kages. Shodaime-Sama, Yondaime and Hiruzen were all strong enough to to take on the other 4 of their counterparts and win. The Nidaime himself was hailed as the strongest among the Kages in his time as the leader of hidden leaf. So I say Uzumaki Naruto lacks the power to be the Hokage." Danzo clarified calmly.