17. Clash with Danzo!

[Last chapter]

"The Hokage have until today most influential and more powerful than other Kages. Shodaime-Sama, Yondaime and Hiruzen were all strong enough to take on the other 4 of their counterparts and win. The Nidaime himself was hailed as the strongest among the Kages in his time as the leader of hidden leaf. So, I say Uzumaki Naruto lacks the power to be the Hokage." Danzo clarified calmly.

[Now]

"It is not logical. Uzumaki-sama is young now. He will have the time to grow into person he will be as the Hokage." Shibi Aburame said in monotone.

"Even at his age, Yondaime was able to destroy 6 of elite Kumo jounins and rescue one Uzumaki Kushina from Kidnaping attempt. At the same age both Shodaime-sama and Nidaime-sama were fighting in clan wars. Sandaime himself was strong enough that Tobirama sensei used to call him the second coming of Shodai Hokage. But looking at those standards, Uzumaki-San fail to fill the footsteps of his predecessor.

"Oh, and how are you sure about that?" Tsume Inuzuka raises her eyebrows with a feral grin.

"From what I have heard, Uzumaki Naruto is the strongest gennin of the leaf if we don't count Kosuke Maruboshi." Yamanka Inoichi inputed with Akimichi Choza nodding his head in agreement.

Danzo smirked at that "Then I present a simple compromise. Uzumaki Naruto have to face me in battle. If he impresses us enough, he will be the chosen apprentice and will have the elders' complete support. But If he can't then, Hiruzen will have to rescind the apprenticeship given to Uzumaki Naruto and the next Hokage will have authority to name his successor."

Hiruzen frowned at that "And what makes you think, you have any authority of doing that. If I say Naruto is going to be my successor than he is. Not even the fire daimyo could retract the decision."

"Not that I think he would be willing to do it." Hiruzen added as he remembered that Naruto had good relations with Daimyo of Hi no Kuni.

Danzo frowned as his plan seemed coming down until he heard Naruto speak "Why not Hokage sama! If I have your permission, I will accept the challenge. I don't want anyone to doubt my authority when I am the Hokage of hidden leaf. Danzo's words If not proven wrong could sow seeds of doubt in mind of others. And we don't want to have that, do we?"

Danzo regained his smirk as the Uzumaki trapped himself into his plans.

[In the forest of death]

Naruto had deployed a heavy barrier around himself and Danzo. The clan heads and Hokage themselves were surrounded by other barrier so that they could watch the fight without being caught by the attack. Naruto had each of them including the elders to sign the confidentiality contract, so that they couldn't reveal whatever of his abilities they saw on the battle. Seeing as he was going to be the Hokage in future, they had no qualms about signing it. The elders did try to resist but with a simple statement of sign or get out of here, they complied.

Currently Naruto was facing Danzo in the middle of their battlefield. The shinobis had manipulated the forests into a battlefield with mixture of landscapes so that both the participants could utilize their strength.

"You are very young Uzumaki. You had the easy way of being the Hokage by clinging onto Hiruzen's authority and yet you let it all go to just satisfy your arrogance." Danzo sneered.

"It is arrogance when it is not true Danzo. You will see the truth soon. Why don't we start?" Naruto said.

Danzo dispelled the heavy rings around his bandaged right hand. Ofcourse he didn't undo the bandages. Naruto doubted he would want the others to see the sharingans embedded in them.