Chapter 12: Powder

Y/N POV

I come inside the bar and head straight to the counter, I'm not ordering any drinks.

???: Hey there, new face! I'm Vi, what can I get ya?

I'm met with a charming, freckle-faced, short red-haired girl, who... looks really cute if I'm being honest.

Y/N: Y/N... uhh... I'm here to see Powder, I was stationed with her in Freljord and Ionia, saw her on the news and thought I'd come surprise her.

Vi: Powder... that's my sister, ugh... she goes by Jinx now, I'm scared of her. Come on...

She gestures me to come around the counter and she leaves it.

Vi: So, this might not be the same Powder you know... but... she's not doing good, I love my sister and I want to see her again, it's ever since she started working with the... "Chem-Barons" did it just get worse. Once I saw those pink eyes, I realized it wasn't her anymore. Now she just hides behind a mask and blows shit up around town. Here's her place.

She walked me all the way up the stairs from the bar to the apartment above.

Vi puts her hand on my chest before I walk in, then her eyes slowly reach mine.

Vi: P-please... save my sister...

Y/N: Is it that bad?

Vi nods her head, then lets go of me.

I gently open the door...

The studio apartment is empty, and smells... slightly musty, and sulfuric oddly enough.

I trace the smell into the kitchen, the stove was on, so I shut it off.

Beside it, a photo, the one we took when we were all together, when... we were all alive.

The smell of sulfur is still in the air... something else is filling the room with gas...

Every face I look at in the photo, I get a flash... of how they were...

Even myself...

I turn it over, reading the note.

"Intentions..." What does that mean? I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means.

I head to the other side of the room, opening the bathroom door.

There's a wire, shit... I never thought I'd have to use my knife.

I lightly cut the line with my combat knife, then sheath it back in my jacket.

*BEEP-BEEP!*

Shit, crafty little... fuck...

That wasn't a trap to the door, she tied it to the door, and also tied it to something in the room, picking up the slack so when I cut it, it'd go off.

I look over in the bathtub, and it's a massive IED in the tub.

Three massive tanks of... chlorine gas, with an extra tank of sulfur dioxide next to it, according to the label, as well as what looks like plastic explosives hooked up to a timer.

If it explodes, this building along with all the people in it are going to have a bad time... that's putting it simply.

Two minutes, shit.

*DOOR SLAM!*

The door shuts on its own at the front of the studio, I see a notch in the wall, so I yank it down, ripping the wallpaper and revealing a mechanism to deadbolt the door shut with four automated locks.