Prologue: Service

Author's Contextual Note:

Welcome, and before we start, I would like to start off with a few notes to remember throughout the story. This story might seem similar to "Them..." but it isn't. While both take place in a darker setting and as both characters had the same sort of "employment" before the events of the story, they are very different.

Runeterra in this story is not like the conventional Runeterra like the League of Legends universe. Runeterra in this story is like our Earth, Terra. Think of regions in this story almost like their real-life counterparts, but more modern, use your imagination, explore, imagine yourself in this story, because you won't see the MC, I can tell you that.

Think of Noxus, Piltover, Zaun, like a modern-day North America, or Europe, if you're feeling that, although it's based off the US' military ideals with some of my own junk thrown in there.

Ionia, think of Asia, Shurima and all the surrounding areas, think of parts of Africa and perhaps South America.

Demacia and Freljord, think of even more north, like maybe the north pole or even the arctics, Russia. Maybe think of mountain-tops, imagine it however you want it.

Some of these regions may not even be mentioned, but I'm trying to set a more modern setting for this story. Cars, guns, the things we have in real life, will be aparent in this story. Some technological stuff, like hextech, but not magical stuff, will stay, but think of more modern stuff, not rustic and steam punkish.

This is your world, get creative, just in case my writing sucks.

Now, enough about setting, let's begin this story:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N FLASHBACK POV

Y/N: Lighting up... stand by...

I take out a signal flare, striking it a couple of times until it lights. 

*SIZZLE!* 

Guardian-1 comes over and grabs it, because he's a little bit more fearless. 

That, or stupid. 

I open one of my pockets, taking out a spare magazine and exchange it for the empty one in my M4A1. 

What we're about to do is really stupid. 

We're in Ionia, specifically the capital. 

The whole city is in ruins, and we're behind enemy lines. 

Why were we sent here? No idea, but we're one of the last squads left that's in the flank.

Guardian-2 takes out his binoculars and does a quick reconnaissance.

G2: Alright... we got... a sniper fort to the left, about 10 o'clock in the Ionian court-hall, right under half a click, I think. They have yet to turn around... engaging in the armor we have posted two clicks more north. 

G1: Flare is up on the roof now, I just tossed it, air support will know where we are now, so, let's hope they don't hit us. 

Mega: Okay, anyone need patched up? Mundo has got supplies, G1 check your radio.

G1: Setting up, stand by. 

Mega Mundo, our medical officer, a bit psychotic, no idea how he passed his psych eval when he speaks in the third person, but he is fantastic at his job. 

Y/N: Jinx! 

Jinx: Shhh... Y/N... Y/N... Y/N... relax, weapon mommy is here...

Powder has not been the same since Freljord... where she has had firsthand experience with a sentient polar bear.