Defense

Lilly's pov:

I fired a shot at the cardboard person in front of me, missed. The lessons my father made me do weren't worth it since I can't even hit a cardboard person.

I was getting frustrated, I have been here since this morning and I hit the cardboard once. I wonder if the people I shot at were actually shot.

"You're doing it wrong," a familiar voice from behind said.
"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be working or whatever you do?" I said sarcastically. I turned around and saw him leaning against the doorframe.

"How long have you been standing there?" "Long enough to see that you suck at this." I felt my cheeks blushing and a rush of feelings in my stomach. I couldn't help but smile.
"Well mister who thinks he can do better show or teach me instead of laughing at me."

Enzo pulled a gun out of his waistband and shot without looking right in the heart. "You're a little bit better than me. I just need practice and patience." I admitted.
"I'll help with the practice" he walked over to me and stopped right in front of me.

"First your posture needs to improve, you need to stand steady. You need to control the gun, not the other way around." Enzo stood behind me, closing the gap between us. He held me by my waist as he repositioned me. His grip was steady but soft.

He gave me his gun, it had his name carved into it.
"Fancy gun"
I heard him chuckle from behind. His hands went over my arms sending shivers down my spine. Our hands were together on the gun. It gave me flashbacks from the ball, we were in the exact same position just dressed down.

His mouth was so close to my ear I could hear him breath. The minty smell was nice.
"You need to use your whole body when you shoot, not just your hands. Your body gets a shock, and you need to receive it without falling back. Then the bullet will fly, the more you do it the more you'll get used to it."

I shot.

I felt the shock and almost fell over but Enzo stood behind me to catch me. I looked and saw that I hit in the head. An improvement.

I threw my arms in the air out of happiness.
I did it.

"Good, one thing you can remove from your list."
What list? I didn't make a list.
"What do you mean?"
"You need to be stronger, Lilly, you need to learn how to defend yourself. A situation like that can never happen again."

I nodded trying not to think about it. Something like that can never happen again. Ever.

"So what's next on my list?" I asked.
He took my hand and walked to the gym room. "I'm not working out, I'm sore" I lied, I just didn't really like working out. All the sweating and stickiness wasn't for me.

"I will teach you self defense"

Enzo gave me boxing gloves and told me to punch. I have never done this before. Am I going to hurt him? His wound fully healed but there was a scare and I think he will kill me if I hurt him again.

He saw that I was struggling "imagine I am your father." Okay I can imagine Enzo as my father. I got this.

A punch followed "good, keep going" another punch. I was starting to get the hang of this. "Alright I got to admit you're good"
"Thank you"

"Now I will pretend to be an attacker" I tried to get all the courage inside me and I will show what he taught me. I can do this.

He walked past me and strangled me. I punched him in the stomach with my elbow and threw him on the ground.
"I'm so sorry if I hurted you"
"Are you also going to apologize to your attacker?"

"Okay, now I will try to pick you up and take you," he said while standing up. I tried to stay calm since this is the way they took me and I couldn't let that happen again.

I was ready for it.

I saw Enzo walking towards me and I froze, I forgot what to do. The only thing I could remember were the men taking me and I couldn't do anything.

"Lilly, are you okay?" I flinched as he touched me. I didn't know where I was. Maybe nothing of this was real and I was still stuck there.

"We'll try again" Enzo said as I stood frozen to the floor.
"Lilly"
I stepped back into the present. I nodded my head. That's the past. you're safe. you're safe with him.

He walked towards me but with much more attention and care. I know what to do. Enzo went for my arms but I avoided it and tried to trip him but he grabbed me and I fell with full force on my back with Enzo on top of me.

We were both breathing hard.
"ll need more practice on that" I laughed, his face turned serious as he looked me in the eye. It felt like I was drowning in his eyes.

We were not fooling around anymore, I wanted him to kiss me. Now.

As I leaned in he pulled away.
Oh, he didn't want to kiss me.
"I'm sorry" I sniffled trying to get away from underneath him. I was hurt.

I stormed out the room trying to catch my breath. More tears flew. Was I that stupid to think we had something? I felt something for him but he didnt feel anything for me and I embarrassed myself.

So fucking stupid.