[62] New companion

The dawn had just broken, bathing the reservation in an ethereal golden glow. It was peaceful, eerily so, considering the chaos that thrived beyond its borders. Cassidy, Hazuki, Ms. Yan, and I were gathered in the main square, waiting for the Chief. He approached us, his stride firm and determined despite his advancing age.

His eyes, filled with an unreadable emotion, turned towards me. "Take my daughter with you," he said, his voice laced with a finality that left no room for negotiation. My eyebrows shot up in surprise. I looked at Cassidy, Hazuki, and Ms. Yan. They seemed just as taken aback.

"What?" I stammered, failing to comprehend his request. "Why?"

The chief's gaze moved towards a figure standing at a distance, partially hidden by the shadows of a building. "Ask her yourself," he replied curtly, his stoic face giving nothing away.

Confused and intrigued, I followed his gaze to find Kaya leaning against the wall, her arms crossed over her chest. Her stoic expression matched her father's, a clear sign of her determination and resolve. I made my way over to her, my mind racing with questions.

The sun cast a golden halo around Kaya, accentuating her hardened features. The same steel blue eyes that had unerringly taken down multiple zombies and stared down ruthless raiders now met mine. But there was something different in her gaze, a flicker of anticipation perhaps, or was it determination?

"I don't like owing debts," she said before I could even pose my question. Her voice was firm and certain, her eyes never wavering from mine. I looked at her, somewhat taken aback by her straightforwardness. Her words echoed in my head, stirring a whirlpool of thoughts.

The statement, simple as it was, carried a world of implications. She had her own code of honor, her own principles that she was unwilling to compromise. I realized then that Kaya's decision to join us wasn't born out of a whimsical desire for adventure or an escapist fantasy. She felt indebted to us, for saving her life and her home.

I nodded at her, silently acknowledging her decision. We had a long, uncertain journey ahead of us, but knowing that Kaya would be a part of it somehow made the path seem a little less daunting.

"Welcome to the gang." I offered my hand with a grin.

"I won't let you down." she gave me hand a firm shake.

***

We gathered around a map spread out on the hood of Endeavor, the morning sun warming the air around us. We were five now; me, Cassidy, Hazuki, Ms. Yan, and Kaya - each with our strengths and vulnerabilities, each with our stories.

"Alright, so here's the million-dollar question," Cassidy started, her finger tracing along the highway on the map. "Which route do we take to get to the Canadian border?"

Silence hovered in the air, heavy with the gravity of the decision we were about to make. Hazuki was the first to break it. "We could take I-15 North, then go west towards Sweetgrass–Coutts Border Crossing. It's the most direct route," she suggested, her finger following the proposed route.

Cassidy nodded, "Yes, but it's also the most obvious route. It's likely to be teeming with zombies. And who knows what other threats we could encounter."

Kaya, who had been silent until then, spoke up. "There's another route. We can take the 89 to the 44, then onto the 2, and finally cross through Coutts. It's a bit roundabout, but less likely to be packed with the undead."

Her voice was calm, and her suggestion was well thought out, reflecting the tactical mind beneath the cool exterior.

Ms. Yan seemed thoughtful. "That might work, but it could also mean we'll be on the road for longer, and that means more time exposed to potential threats."

We were caught between the devil and the deep sea, having to choose between a short, dangerous route and a long, uncertain one.

I stood quiet, letting their words sink in. My gaze drifted from one face to the other. They were all looking at me, waiting for my input. I took a deep breath and broke the silence.

"Let's go for the Coutts Port of Entry. Yes, it's longer, but we can avoid major cities and highways. We might have a better chance of making it through undetected."

The air felt a bit lighter as I voiced my decision. A silent agreement passed between us. There was an understanding that this journey would be fraught with danger and uncertainty, but we also shared an unspoken promise to look out for each other.

"Alright, its decided then." she drew back a breath and leapt off the hood of endeavor. "This won't take long."

A knot of emotion choked the air as Kaya turned to bid farewell to her kin. She was about to step into an uncertain world, leaving behind the only home she'd ever known. She embraced her father, the chief, her arms wrapping around his massive form. They shared a moment, two figures silhouetted against the sun, a snapshot of love and parting.

Her brothers, strong warriors of their tribe, stood by, their faces lined with concern. Kaya moved on to them, hugging each one fiercely. She whispered something in their ears, a private message, maybe a promise or a plea, whatever it was, they nodded solemnly.

As she stepped back, the entire tribe was there to send her off, their faces etched with respect and worry. We gave them our nods, waving our hands in a silent promise to protect one of their own. There was no fanfare, no grand gestures, just a quiet understanding that we were all survivors of the same storm, and we had to look out for each other.

With a last lingering look at her family, Kaya climbed aboard Endeavor. She took a deep breath, then settled down in the passenger seat next to Cassidy, her gaze firmly on the road ahead. There was a determined glint in her eyes, the look of a warrior ready to brave the wilds.

And so, we set off. The roar of the Endeavor's engine was a wild, powerful thing that echoed across the empty wasteland. As we pulled away from the native's reservation, Cassidy turned on the music, a cassette tape filled with rock and roll classics she'd collected along the way. The speakers hummed to life, the strumming of a guitar followed by the hard-hitting beats of drums and an anthemic voice that sang of freedom and wild rides.

As we rolled down the deserted roads, the song weaved a rhythm with our heartbeat and the throb of the engine, creating a symphony of survival. The music blasted through the car, the notes swirling around us, cocooning us in a sense of camaraderie and determination. The raw energy of the music mirrored our spirit - unbroken, rebellious, full of fight.

With the wind in our hair and the sun on our faces, we looked ahead.

On the disk player the song: "I am on a highway to hell" began to play.

Q: Have you ever heard of the song "I am on a highway to hell"?