[14] Long distance families

A heavy silence fell between us at her response, one filled with a mixture of relief and sadness. Relief because her parents were away from this chaos, presumably safe. Sadness, because they were oceans apart, with no real way of knowing if they truly were safe.

She looked away from me, as she took out a photo from her bag. It was an old family photo hers. She traced her fingers gently over the faces of her parents, her siblings. Her expression was unreadable, but I could see the glisten of tears in her eyes.

"My family runs a small farm in the countryside," she started, her voice barely a whisper. "It's quiet... peaceful. Nothing like this."

I stood there, unsure of what to say. Comforting words felt meaningless in a situation like this. Instead, I walked up to her, standing by her side as she lost herself in the memories of her past.

"We will find a way to contact them, Ms. Yan," I said, my voice firm. "We will ensure they are safe."

Her gaze shifted from the picture to me. For a moment, she just looked at me, then nodded, wiping away the tears. She seemed to draw strength from my words, her posture straightening, a new determination in her eyes.

"Yes, we will," she said, her voice steady. "We have to survive, for them."

"Indeed." I smiled in agreement.

"Where are your parents?" Ms. Yan asked.

"They should be on a cruise right now. They are safe for now at least."

"You don't seemed worried for them."

"Of course not. First of all worry doesn't fix problems. Second, they should be safe until they dock." I said.

"Fair point." Ms. Yan nodded. 

We were in this together, for ourselves and for our families, both here and far away. Despite the terror and the uncertainty, we had something to hold on to. We had hope, and we had each other. And for now, that was enough. 

Q: Would you go back for your family members in a zombie apocalypse?