[81] At the gate

We arrived at the border of Banff town on the jeep. 2 armed men told us halted us.

"Sorry, we are not taking in any more refugees."

"We are not gonna be useless now." I said. "One nurse, one school teacher, one sharp shooter, and two more fighters," I reiterated, keeping my voice steady despite the tension. I locked eyes with the man who'd spoken, a burly figure who had his hand hovering over the rifle slung across his chest. His gaze was stern but not hostile, assessing us with a practiced eye.

"That's all well and good," he responded, his Canadian accent thick, "but we can't just let anyone in. We have protocols, rules. This town's already overcapacity with refugees."

Cassidy, who was sitting next to me, leant forward. Her braided blonde hair cascaded over her shoulder as she flashed the guard a charming smile. "We understand the predicament you're in, but we are not looking for charity. We've got skills that can benefit your town. Plus," she gestured toward the back of the truck, "we have fresh game that we're willing to trade for a place to stay. Just give us a chance."

The guard's gaze softened as he considered our offer, exchanging a glance with his companion. "Well, having a nurse around would certainly be useful," he muttered.

"Very," agreed the other, a wiry man with a scruffy beard. "The Doc has been overwhelmed recently."

In the back, Hazuki, our resident nurse, nodded. "I can start helping immediately," she said earnestly.

"Let me confer with our leader," the burly man said. He then turned to his companion, "Bill, keep an eye on them." With that, he walked away, disappearing inside a small outpost.

The man heard something over the walkee talkee. A moment later, he returned.

"Alright, let them pass through," the burly man's voice crackled over the walkie-talkie, the static interspersing his words like an echo. His gaze softened as he returned the device to his belt, his eyes meeting mine with an unreadable expression.

"Thank you," I managed, relief washing over me as I gripped the wheel tighter. The burly man merely nodded, stepping back to allow us passage into the town. With a rumble of the engine, I guided the vehicle through the checkpoint, glancing in the rear-view mirror to see the men close the gates behind us.

Banff was nothing like the empty roads we had traversed. The town was alive with activity; people bustled about, the dirt roads filled with makeshift stalls where locals traded goods. Despite the harsh reality of the post-apocalyptic world, it was a refreshing sight to see the human spirit persist.

The townsfolk watched our arrival with a mix of curiosity and caution, their eyes trained on our unfamiliar vehicle as we drove through the town center. Faces peered out of windows, children paused in their games, all observing the newcomers that had entered their sanctuary.

With Cassidy's direction, we maneuvered the truck towards the largest building, a rustic wooden structure that had once served as a town hall. Now, it appeared to be the town's command center. "Park here," Cassidy instructed, pointing towards an open area beside the building.

Following her direction, I guided the vehicle into the spot, the tires crunching on the gravel as we came to a stop. "Alright, let's see what this place has in store for us," I said, unbuckling my seatbelt and turning to face my companions, a hint of a hopeful smile gracing my lips.

Together, we disembarked from the vehicle, stretching our sore muscles from the long ride. As the cool mountain air hit my face, I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief. We had finally reached our destination, and despite the uncertainties that lay ahead, for the first time in a long while, things felt somewhat hopeful.

Q: What would you say to the guards in this situation?