[9] The bloody mile

A sudden screech from behind turned my blood to ice. We had barely reached halfway to the science building when a horde of zombies rounded a corner, their dead eyes glowing eerily in the moonlight.

As though a spell had broken, chaos erupted around us. Panic coursed through the crowd like a wave, sending students scattering in all directions. Screams filled the night, their echoes hauntingly bouncing off the once-familiar buildings.

I scanned the scene desperately, the sheer volume of the horde turning my stomach. Students were running every which way, their earlier unity shattered in the face of such terror.

"Stay together!" I bellowed over the din, but my voice was lost amidst the chaos. The zombies were gaining ground, their grotesque forms moving faster than any of us could have imagined. James was beside me, his face set in a grim line as he hefted his trophy.

"We have to regroup!" he shouted in my ear, the terror in his eyes mirroring my own. "Chang, we can't let them scatter!"

He was right. Alone, we were targets. Together, we stood a chance.

Mustering every ounce of courage I had, I turned to face the oncoming horde. "Everyone, follow me!" I shouted, swinging my bat to emphasize my words. "Towards the science building! Move!"

My voice rang out above the chaos, a beacon in the heart of the terror. One by one, the students began to respond. They rallied, turning their fear into determination as they followed my lead.

A thunderous roar echoed through the night as James and I charged forward, leading the desperate convoy towards our only hope. The zombies growled and snarled, their gnarled hands reaching out for us. But we pressed on, our hearts pounding in unison.

With every step, the science building grew closer. It was an oasis in this desert of despair. And we were so close...

But then, a scream cut through the night. I turned in time to see a girl fall, a zombie descending upon her. Without thinking, I broke from the group and rushed towards her, swinging my bat with all my might. The zombie crumpled to the ground, its grip on the girl slackening.

I pulled her to her feet, her eyes wide with terror. "Run!" I shouted, shoving her towards the science building.

She took off, running like the wind as I turned to rejoin the group. James was holding them back, his trophy swinging in a deadly arc.

I caught up to him, my heart pounding as I saw the entrance to the science building just ahead. "We're almost there!" I shouted, my voice hoarse.

The world seemed to slow down around me. My feet pounded against the ground in sync with my thundering heart, my breath coming in quick, sharp pants. My eyes were glued on the science building's entrance, where James had disappeared just moments ago. A wave of relief washed over me as I finally neared the door. I was almost there.

But as I was about to cross the threshold, the door suddenly slammed shut. I skidded to a halt, narrowly avoiding crashing into the closed door. The echo of the slamming door was like a death knell in my ears.

My heart pounded in my chest as I whipped my head around. The previously safe distance between me and the zombies had evaporated in an instant. They were now mere feet away from me, their grotesque forms illuminated under the flickering street lights.

A sense of dread washed over me as I realized what had just happened. James had shut me out. The man I had fought side by side with, the man I had considered my partner in this nightmarish ordeal, had left me to the mercy of these monsters.

Shock washed over me, numbing my body and mind. I couldn't process what was happening. 

Is this some sort of mistake? 

Did he not see me coming? 

Is this some sort of sick prank?

If so, then what kind of fking prank is this?

Then reality hit me.

This isnt't a prank.

This is...Human nature.

Q: Were you ever betrayed by a loved one before?