[10] Fate

My heart pounded in my chest like a war drum, echoing the relentless rhythm of the approaching horde. I could see their vacant eyes and gnashing teeth, the horrifying visage of hunger and death approaching me, and yet, I dropped my only weapon. The metal baseball bat clanged against the concrete floor, its echoes drowned by the guttural growls of the undead.

Time seemed to slow as the bat rolled away, its protective presence now just a memory. I stood there, weaponless and vulnerable, the reality of my situation settling in my mind like a death sentence. This was it. The end of the line.

The horde was just a breath away now. I could see the bloody details of their once-human faces, could smell the rancid decay that clung to their bodies. I closed my eyes, the terror squeezing my heart until it hurt to breathe. I braced for the inevitable pain, the tearing of flesh and breaking of bones.

But the expected onslaught never came.

After what felt like an eternity, I dared to open my eyes. To my disbelief, the zombies were completely ignoring me. They seemed to not even register my presence, their hollow eyes and ravenous mouths focused solely on the science building door. I stood there, stunned and confused, as the zombies continued to swarm past me, their gnarled hands reaching out for the door, their growls growing in intensity.

Am I dead? 

Did I get isekaied?

Or did I turn into one of them?

A cold chill ran down my spine at the thought. I quickly looked at my hands, my body, searching for any signs of a bite or scratch. But I was untouched. No wounds, no blood.

I looked back at the zombies. They were still ignoring me, their attention still fixated on the door.

Seeing my bat on side, I reached out for it, and began to slowly crawl forward. As I inched my way through the horde, I was careful not to touch any of them. To my amazement, they continued to ignore me. It was as if I wasn't there.

As I finally emerged from the crowd, I took in a deep breath of fresh air. The chill of the night air felt sharp against my skin, a stark contrast to the heat and stench of the zombie horde.

I stood there for a while, taking in the sight before me. The once bustling campus was now eerily quiet, the only sounds being the moans of the zombies and the distant crackling of fires.

With one last look at the science building, I turned and began to make my way away from the crowd. I didn't know why the zombies were ignoring me, or how long this strange immunity would last. But for now, it was my ticket to survival.

I walked away, leaving the chaos behind me. My heart was still pounding, and my mind was swirling with questions and fears. But for the first time since this nightmare began, I felt a flicker of hope. Maybe, just maybe, I could survive this.

Q: Did you see that plot twist coming?