[34] The call of the undead

As the mirthful tune of the slot machine reverberated in the background, the foreboding silhouettes of the undead began to materialize from the darkened corners of the parking lot. Their grotesque shapes moved in an eerie unison, their elongated shadows merging in the pallid glow of the dying streetlights.

I unsheathed my AR-15, feeling the familiar cold, metallic touch against my palms. The weapon felt heavy, its weight anchoring me against the tide of panic threatening to overwhelm me. I felt the ridges of the gun grip pressing into my skin, each indentation grounding me in the midst of the rising chaos.

Beside me, Cassidy drew her MP5, the steel glinting ominously under the faint light. Her face was a mask of grim determination, her eyes reflecting the flickering lights of the distant slot machine, shadowing her sharp features. She seemed to transform under the looming threat, her usual effervescence replaced with a steely resolve. Her body moved with a feline grace, her every step measured and deliberate as she aimed her weapon at the encroaching horde.

The undead were closer now, their grating moans punctuating the eerie silence. Their hollow eyes glowed with a sickly luminescence, their gnarled fingers reaching out towards us with a hungry desperation. The sight was macabre, a grotesque dance of shadows under the ghostly pallor of the moonlight.

With a nod from Cassidy, we opened fire. The sudden burst of gunfire shattered the haunting melody of the slot machine, the echoing shots rebounding off the deserted buildings. Each bullet hit its mark, carving through the decaying flesh with a sickening ease. The horde wavered, their unsteady advance halted by our barrage.

The recoil from my gun vibrated through my arms, the fierce force propelling me back with every shot. But I held my ground, my eyes fixed on the undead. The AR-15 spat out bullets with a mechanical precision, each discharge illuminating the ghastly tableau before us. The smell of gunpowder hung heavy in the air, mixing with the nauseating stench of rot and decay.

Beside me, Cassidy's MP5 echoed in harmony with my AR-15, her steady shots tearing through the undead with lethal accuracy. Her fingers danced on the trigger, her movements fluid and deadly. The look of concentration on her face was fierce, her sapphire eyes reflecting the fiery explosions of our gunfire.

Running low on ammunition, I realized that the ventilation shaft above us was our only chance for escape.

"You girls go into the vent!" I ushered Ms. Yan and Cassidy towards the metal grating, the chilly air whistling out from the ventilation system. Ms. Yan was first, her face pale under the flickering neon lights. With a swift boost, she clambered up and disappeared into the dark shaft.

Next was Cassidy. She gave me a determined nod as she placed her boot in my interlaced fingers. With a concerted effort, I hoisted her up towards the shaft. Her sapphire eyes glanced back at me, a silent understanding passing between us. As her fingers disappeared into the darkness above, I turned my attention to the last piece of our desperate plan.

The slot machines stood ominously around the casino floor. Their glimmering lights flickered in the gloomy light, a perverse parody of their former glory. I reached the nearest one, my fingers wrapping around the metal lever. With a savage yank, I pulled it down, the gears inside grinding into action. The bells and whistles of the machine echoed through the casino, each note bouncing off the vacant walls.

I moved onto the next, my heart pounding against my ribs like a war drum. One by one, I activated the machines, their cacophonous sounds joining into an unholy symphony that permeated the desolate space. The relentless noise echoed throughout the casino, an irresistible siren's call to the relentless undead still lingering outside.

Then the zombies came, drawn by the discordant melody of the slot machines. Their twisted bodies shambled through the entrance, their vacant eyes fixated on the dancing lights of the slot machines. I held my breath, watching as they congregated around the mesmerizing spectacle.

Then, I walked towards the zombies.

Q: What would you do if one of your friend did a dumb mistake?