[44] Taco dinner

The sun had begun to set as we drove away from the supermarket, the skyline awash with brilliant hues of orange and pink. The adrenaline was gradually receding from my system, replaced by a sense of relief and exhaustion.

Andy's voice cut through the hum of the engine, his words eliciting a round of laughter from Cassidy and a shy smile from Hazuki. I felt myself grinning as I met his eyes in the rearview mirror. There was camaraderie in his jest, a sense of shared triumph. We had faced danger together and had come out alive.

"Yeah, well, the supermarket was all out of my favorite brand," I quipped back, relishing in the moment of light-hearted banter. "Besides, I think she's a better catch than a bottle of aspirin, don't you think?"

A sideways glance at Hazuki showed her blushing slightly at my words, her gaze downcast as she fiddled with the hem of her nurse's uniform. I could sense the uncertainty within her, the wariness that was to be expected after living amongst raiders.

To lighten the mood, I continued, "You know, I heard about those two-for-one deals, but this one just takes the cake. She's not just a girl, she's a nurse, and that's one hell of a bonus in a zombie apocalypse, don't you think?"

Cassidy joined in the conversation, her voice filled with mirth as she chimed in, "You always were one for finding the silver lining, weren't you? First the zombies ignoring you, then finding us two lovely ladies. I gotta say, this zombie apocalypse thing is really working out for you."

Even Ms. Yan, who had remained quiet so far, chimed in with her two cents, her voice barely audible over the rumbling engine. "I have to admit, you do have a knack for turning the odds in your favor."

"You got that right Ms. Yan." I winked.

***

The evening had transitioned into the inky blanket of night as we gathered around the humble kitchen table in Andy's garage. The aroma of fresh, homemade tacos wafted in the air, mingling with the scent of motor oil and dust. It was an odd combination, one that seemed unfitting in the normalcy of a pre-apocalypse life. But here, in a world turned upside-down, it was a comforting smell, one that signified safety, comfort, and camaraderie.

The taciturn figure of Andy's grandmother stood by the stove, her frail form hunched over with age, her hands - gnarled with the ravages of arthritis but deft in their movements - busily at work over the hot griddle. She barely looked up as we entered the room, her focus wholly dedicated to her culinary endeavor.

"Sit down, sit down," she waved us towards the table, her voice hoarse but stern. "Food will be ready in a moment."

We obeyed, sliding into the mismatched collection of chairs around the table. Cassidy and Hazuki began chatting in low voices, their conversation a backdrop to the symphony of kitchen sounds - the sizzle of meat on the griddle, the chopping of vegetables, the clang of pans.

Andy leaned back in his chair, a look of contentment on his face as he watched his grandmother. His gaze then met mine, a glimmer of gratitude in his eyes. "Thanks for the medicine," he mouthed silently, his words drowned out by the kitchen bustle.

I nodded, a sense of accomplishment welling up within me. We were here, we were safe, and we were doing our best to help each other survive. That was all that mattered now.

The moment was disrupted when Andy's grandmother began placing the fresh tacos on the table. The plates clattered against the worn-out surface, the noise drawing our attention towards the mounds of food. I could see tender pieces of meat, diced tomatoes, and shredded lettuce peeking from the folded tortillas, a tantalizing sight that made my mouth water in anticipation.

"Dig in," she instructed, taking a seat at the head of the table. We needed no further bidding, our hands reaching for the tacos as we filled our plates. The conversation around the table flowed freely, the atmosphere relaxing as we tucked into our meal.

Cassidy chuckled at something Hazuki said, her laughter filling the room with a warmth that seemed at odds with the cold reality of our world outside. Ms. Yan listened attentively, a soft smile playing on her lips as she enjoyed her food. Andy and I shared a knowing look, our silent communication acknowledging the simple pleasure of this moment.

As I bit into my taco, the flavors exploded in my mouth - the tanginess of the salsa, the richness of the meat, and the freshness of the vegetables. It was a taste of normalcy, a reminder of a life we once knew.

The hum of conversation had receded into a comfortable silence as we all enjoyed our meal. The clinking of forks against plates and the soft crunch of tacos were the only sounds that filled the room. As the warmth of the food seeped into me, replacing the bone-chilling cold of the evening, I felt the urge to broach the topic that had been hovering in the back of my mind.

Cassidy was the first to notice my contemplative expression. "What's up, champ?" she asked, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

"I've been thinking," I began, my gaze sweeping over each face at the table. "About heading further north."

"The Great White North, huh?" Andy quipped, a grin spreading across his face. "You mean, Canada?"

"Alberta, to be specific," I clarified. The room fell quiet, all attention now focused on me.

Alberta, even in the face of the zombie apocalypse, had managed to establish a secure zone of habitation. News - or rumors, at least - had filtered down to us about it. A place where humanity was fighting back, where survival didn't mean merely scraping by day after day. It was our beacon of hope in the darkness that had engulfed the world.

"Alberta? But that's miles away!" Ms. Yan pointed out, concern creeping into her voice. "How are we supposed to get there?"

"I'm aware it's a long shot," I conceded, acknowledging her concerns. "But we've come this far already, haven't we? We have each other, and the Endeavor," I gestured towards the monstrous truck parked in the corner of the garage. "And most importantly, we have the will to survive."

Hazuki, who had been silently observing our discussion, finally spoke up. "What would we do once we get there?" she asked, her voice barely more than a whisper.

"We start over," I said, the words ringing out in the quiet room. "We build a new life, in a safer place, among other survivors. We have a chance to reclaim our humanity, to not just survive, but to live."

The silence following my words was deafening. I could see the gears turning in their heads, the glimmer of hope dawning in their eyes. A new life, a fresh start, it was all anyone wanted in these dire times.

Cassidy broke the silence, her grin mischievous. "Well, what are we waiting for, then?" she declared, slamming her hand on the table, making the plates and glasses rattle. "Alberta, here we come!"

Her enthusiasm was infectious. One by one, each of us joined in, voices echoing in the room, laughter ringing out, filling the garage with an energy that had been absent for so long.

Q: Do you know how to make tacos?