[69] Hot cocoa

Al Tremblay was a tall man with weathered skin and a broad grin that made him immediately likable. His home was just as comforting as his personality. The kitchen had an aroma of ginger and warm spices that permeated the room and wafted up our noses. It was like Christmas, it was warm, it was homey.

While Kaya was being treated, Al closed the kitchen door and disappeared momentarily, emerging a few minutes later with a tray in his hands. On it were five mugs of steaming hot chocolate and a plate piled high with gingerbread cookies. He set the tray on the coffee table with a satisfied grin and said, "Here you go, eh! Nothing beats hot cocoa and gingerbread cookies after a long day."

We accepted the mugs gratefully, the warmth seeping into our hands. I took a sip, the sweet cocoa warming me from the inside out. It was delicious, a welcome contrast to the gritty canned food and bottled water we had been living on. "This is really good, Al," I said, appreciating the comfort of the hot drink.

"Glad you like it," he replied, his eyes twinkling. I noticed that he didn't have a mug of his own.

"Aren't you having any?" I asked.

Al laughed, pulling a metal thermos from the side table. "Got mine right here, buddy!" He popped the cap, the smell of hot chocolate wafting from within. "Always keep a thermos of hot cocoa handy. You never know when you're gonna need it, eh?"

We laughed at that, the sound ringing out in the cozy cabin. For the first time in a long time, there was a sense of normality, of peace even amidst the chaos outside. And for that, we were incredibly grateful.

"We are heading towards Banff," I said, keeping my voice steady despite the uncertainty of the road ahead.

Al's eyebrows shot up, and he whistled through his teeth. "That's quite a ways from here. It's a beautiful place, though. Used to take my family there for summer vacations. Are you folks sightseeing?" His voice held a teasing note, but his eyes were serious, studying each of us in turn.

"No," I replied, returning his gaze steadily. "It's a... safe zone of sorts." It felt strange to say it out loud, like saying it made it more real and, at the same time, more elusive.

"Ah." Al nodded, leaning back in his chair. He stroked his beard thoughtfully, his eyes fixed on the flickering flames in the fireplace. "I see."

Cassidy, who had been silent until now, chimed in, "It's more than that, actually." She leaned forward, placing her empty hot chocolate mug on the table. "Banff has always been on my bucket list. Even if it's a world filled with zombies now, I want to see the mountains, the turquoise lakes, the wildlife. Or whatever is left of them."

Hazuki nodded in agreement, her soft voice carrying a similar sentiment, "I've always wanted to visit Canada. And Banff sounds like a good place to start. Besides, we could all use a break, couldn't we?"

Kaya's face, pale but determined, reflected our collective resolve. "We've been through a lot. We owe it to ourselves to keep going."

Al listened to us, his eyes crinkling with warmth and understanding. "Well," he said, rising from his chair, "if Banff's your destination, then Banff it is. You girls are some of the bravest folks I've met. And if I can do anything to help you on your journey, just say the word."

Our conversation continued, with Al sharing stories of past family vacations in Banff and us detailing our experiences from the journey so far. Al's stories painted a beautiful image of Banff, with its lush forests, towering mountains, and crystal-clear lakes. It was a pleasant distraction from the grim reality outside his cozy house.

However, as the minutes ticked by, I noticed a subtle shift in the room. I had to squint to focus on Al's face, and my head started to spin as if I was on a merry-go-round. I blinked, trying to shake off the fog that was slowly clouding my vision. Cassidy, sitting beside me, suddenly swayed, her face pale and her lips pursed in a tight line.

Hazuki, her face turned ghostly white, clutched her chest, her breathing irregular. Kaya, despite the pain from her wounds, fought to keep her eyes open, but I could see the struggle in her glazed eyes. Yan-Hua, who was sitting beside me, was the last to react. Her hand reached out to steady Cassidy, but her grip was weak, her movements sluggish.

Confusion clouded my thoughts as I tried to make sense of what was happening. I looked at Al, who was now standing, his face an unreadable mask. There was something in his gaze that set off alarm bells in my head. But before I could react, the room started spinning, the edges blurring, and a strange numbness spread through my body.

"Wha..." was all I managed to utter before my world tipped sideways. The last thing I remember was the sight of the plush carpet rushing to meet me, the taste of sweet hot chocolate still lingering in my mouth, and Al's voice, echoing in the distance, before everything went black.

Q: Do you ever eat or drink things from strangers?