[66] Detour to freedom

As I relayed the encounter to the others back at the camp, I could see the somber mood that settled over us. We had come this far only to be stopped by an impenetrable force. Each of us shared glances, exchanging silent words of disappointment and fear.

Cassidy was the first to break the silence, the determined look in her eyes somewhat comforting. "Then we can't go through them," she stated, her voice echoing in the early morning air.

Hazuki nodded in agreement. "It would be suicidal."

I nodded, running a hand through my hair. "I saw their weapons...their gear. We are seriously outgunned. We cannot fight our way through."

Kaya, who had been unusually quiet, spoke up. "So, we go around."

Her statement hung in the air, the others mulling it over. It seemed reckless and dangerous, but the alternatives were far worse. I found myself nodding in agreement, my heart pounding in my chest at the thought of our new plan.

"Go around?" Hazuki repeated, her eyes wide.

"Are you insane?" Cassidy added, her voice louder than she probably intended.

"Insane or not, it's our best bet," Kaya replied, her voice steady. "We can't go through, so we go around. It's that simple."

The silence returned, each of us considering the implications of her words. It would be a dangerous trek, but I agreed with Kaya.

"We need to avoid any confrontation with the soldiers at all costs. Our chances are much higher if we circumvent their base and continue on our way," I added, hoping to bolster their confidence.

Yan-Hua chimed in, her voice soft but firm. "He's right. It's risky, but it's our best chance. We need to trust each other. We've made it this far."

The others exchanged glances before giving a collective nod. The plan was reckless, daunting, and our chances of success were slim. But in this new world, we were faced with impossible decisions every day. This was just another one of those.

"Alright let's do this." I smashed my fist together.

"You've said it boss!" Cassidy flashed me a wicked grin.

"I trust your judgement senpai..." Hazuki said with a small voice.

"Chang...I trust you." Yan-Hua offered a small smile.

"Your call." Kaya said with a rugged voice.

"Thank you girls for trusting me. Now let's fking do this!"

***

We then decided to go through a forest where the security seemed most laxed.

As we set off, a sense of trepidation filled the air, thick and palpable. The tension was so real it felt like we could have cut through it with a knife. But we had made a decision, and there was no turning back.

As Cassidy drove the Endeavor down the overgrown path, the dense foliage of the forest on either side made me feel small, insignificant. But in a way, it also provided a sense of security, hiding us from prying eyes.

I let out a long sigh, the tension slowly leaving my body as I looked over at Yan-Hua. She was nervously biting her lower lip, her hands tightly gripping the hem of her dress. "Don't worry, Yan-Hua," I whispered to her, offering a comforting smile. "We're almost there."

Her eyes met mine, a glimmer of hope lighting up her expression. "I trust you," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Kaya, who was sitting in the passenger seat, kept looking back to ensure that no one was following us. Hazuki, meanwhile, was quietly reading her book, as if trying to distract herself from the nerve-racking situation.

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally spotted a clearing in the distance. We all leaned forward, anticipation coursing through our veins. Cassidy slowed the vehicle, bringing it to a stop just at the edge of the clearing.

And there it was. Canada. The sight was breathtaking, the vast expanse of untouched land stretching out as far as the eye could see. For a moment, we just sat there, taking in the sight.

"We did it..." Hazuki murmured, her voice breaking the silence.

Cassidy turned around in her seat, an ear-to-ear grin plastered on her face. "Hell yeah, we did!"

Kaya let out a cheer, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "I knew we could do it!"

"We're not there yet, but...we're so close." Yan-Hua's voice was full of awe.

We all shared a moment of quiet celebration. We were on the brink of reaching our destination, a glimmer of hope amidst the despair. For now, it was enough. We were close. So close.

That's when our entire world flipped upside down.

Q: What did you think happened?