[94] Payday

We went arrived at Banff at dusk. We got the reward Cody promised, we then took our reward inside in our rooms in the motel.

As the dim light of the setting sun filtered through the motel room's dusty blinds, the four of us sat cross-legged on the worn carpet, our gaze fixed on the large wooden crate at the center of the room. Cody's reward.

The sound of the motel door creaking open interrupted our inspection. We turned to find Hazuki and Yan-Hua standing at the threshold, both with curious expressions. "Back already?" Hazuki asked, her eyes sparkling with amusement as she took in the sight before her. "Quite an early day, isn't it?"

"No thanks to a certain rock fan's taste in music," I replied, casting a sideways glance at Cassidy. She stuck her tongue out in response, but her sheepish smile couldn't hide the guilt in her eyes.

Yan-Hua stepped forward and crouched down to examine the contents of the crate. "What did you get?" she asked, her gaze flicking from one item to another.

"We've got a bit of everything," Cassidy answered, nudging the crate with her foot. "Batteries, lighters, some electronics. Cody was especially impressed by the vintage AC/DC album and the radio. Said they're worth their weight in gold."

As Cassidy explained, I reached into the crate and pulled out a can of food, its shiny exterior gleaming under the dull motel room light. "Cody gave us a good supply of canned food as part of the reward. We'll be able to eat well for a while."

The sight of the canned food drew an audible gasp from Hazuki. "Real canned food? Like, the pre-packaged, non-expired, ready-to-eat stuff?" she asked, her eyes wide. I nodded, and Hazuki's face broke into a grin. "This is amazing! We haven't had proper canned food in ages!"

Next, Kaya pulled out a bundle of winter clothes from the crate. "Cody also gave us these," she said, unfolding a thick winter jacket. "Looks like we're set for the winter."

Yan-Hua whistled appreciatively. "Looks like you had a fruitful day. Great job, everyone." She reached out to touch the fluffy lining of the jacket, a soft smile playing on her lips. "These will come in handy when it gets colder."

After going through all the loot, Hazuki and Yan-Hua then talked about their first day at work.

Hazuki began, her hands idly tracing the grooves of a canned pea soup label. "You know," she said, "today felt oddly... familiar. The hospital here, it's nothing like the ones I used to intern at back in the U.S, but... the chaos, the rush of adrenaline, it was the same."

She stared into the distance, lost in her thoughts. "There were so many patients, too many injuries, not enough hands... and the supplies. We barely have what we need to treat the most basic injuries. Some of the patients today, if we were back in a fully-equipped hospital, they would have a chance... here, I'm not so sure."

Her voice trailed off, the joy from earlier replaced by a somber reflection. Cassidy, sensing the shift, reached out and gently squeezed Hazuki's hand. The nurse smiled gratefully, squeezing back before she continued. "But there was this one moment today, a young girl, couldn't have been older than seven. She had a deep gash on her arm, probably from a fall."

Tears welled up in Hazuki's eyes as she recounted, "She was so brave, so stoic. Didn't cry or complain even once while I stitched her up. And after it was all done, she looked up at me with these big, innocent eyes and said, 'Thank you, doctor.' It was so simple, so sincere... it reminded me of why I wanted to be a nurse in the first place. To help people, to make a difference, no matter how small."

Then she sighed, brushing away a stray tear that had managed to escape. "That's what I held onto today. That's what I'll hold onto tomorrow."

Yan-Hua, who had been listening intently, nodded in understanding. "I feel the same way, Hazuki," she admitted, her voice soft. "It was the children for me. They're so resilient, it's inspiring. Even with everything they've been through, they still find a way to smile and laugh."

Yan-Hua's gaze softened, a gentle smile appearing on her face. "I taught them some English and Math today. They were so eager to learn, so curious. It was a bit chaotic, but I loved every minute of it. I've missed teaching, missed making a difference in their lives."

She looked at each of us in turn, her expression serious. "But it's more than just teaching. It's about giving these kids some semblance of normalcy, something familiar in these unfamiliar times. If I can do that, then I'm doing my job."

"That's very noble of you Yan-Hua." I smiled.

"There's nothing noble about, it's just my job...But thanks." Yan-Hua blushed.

"Look who's blushing!" Cassidy poked Yan-Hua's cheek with one finger.

"No I am not!" Yan-Hua swatted her finger away in protest.

Hazuki and Kaya watched with bemusement from the side.

After some back and forth teasing between them, I cleared my throat and spoke up:

"As we've all been living and working together, I've been thinking," I began, Cassidy and Yan-Hua stopped and looked at me, with Hazuki and Kaya turning their attention towards me as well. The flickering light of the small lamp gave an almost homely feel to the room, softening the hard edges of reality. "We're functioning like a team, like a family almost. It's not perfect, I know, but it's...it's something. It's ours."

Pausing for a moment, I took a deep breath before proceeding. "I want us to have a place that's ours. Not just a motel room, or a shared flat, but a real home." I announced, looking at their faces for reactions.

Silence blanketed the room for a few moments as everyone processed what I just said. I could see the glimmers of hope ignite in each of their eyes as they thought of the possibilities.

Hazuki was the first to break the silence, a soft, thoughtful expression on her face. "A home... it's been a while since I've had one of those," she murmured, a melancholic smile on her face. "It sounds... nice."

Cassidy smirked, her blue eyes sparkling mischievously. "And where do you suggest we get this 'home', Chang?" she asked, her tone teasing but the curiosity in her eyes betraying her interest. "Last I checked, we can't exactly stroll into a real estate office and drop a stack of cash."

Laughing at Cassidy's quip, I nodded. "You're right. Money's worthless now. But we have skills, we have resources. We can trade, we can negotiate."

"We've seen abandoned houses on the outskirts of town, haven't we?" I continued. "We can talk to the local authority, or whoever is in charge, trade our services for one of those houses. Hazuki, your medical skills are invaluable. Yan-Hua, you're teaching the children. And the three of us," I motioned to Kaya, Cassidy, and myself, "we can provide security, do scavenger trips, contribute to the community's defense."

I paused, looking at them hopefully. "It won't be easy, but nothing in this world is. But if we work together, I think we can make it happen."

"An actual home..." Yan-Hua murmured, a soft, dreamy smile on her face. "That sounds... lovely."

Kaya, who had been silent the entire time, finally spoke. "It's a good plan, Chang," she said, her tone firm. "It's ambitious, but... it's worth trying. A home... a safe place... it's worth fighting for."

A sense of unity filled the room as we all silently agreed on this new plan, a new hope that sparked in our hearts.

Q: Have you played Payday before?