[119] Christmas

Banff, once a bustling town filled with tenacious and resourceful individuals, now wore a blanket of tranquility. The icy blue skies overhead were clear, undisturbed by plumes of smoke that had been so common during the recent battle. Winter's first snow had freshly fallen, adding a layer of serene white over the rustic, earth-toned buildings. The town's original architectural charm still stood proud, though marked with signs of the past battle.

Main Street, usually busy with movement, was calm. The regular sounds of chatter, laughter, and commerce had quieted, replaced by the rhythmic crunch of boots on freshly packed snow. There were people, of course, but not in the numbers that once populated the sidewalks. They moved like shadows, pulling sleds laden with firewood, carrying baskets of meager supplies, each busy with their own survival, yet displaying an unyielding determination that was as potent as ever.

In the center of town stood the monumental stone clock tower, a silent sentinel that continued to tick on despite the world around it having changed. It was now decorated with hand-strung popcorn and cranberry garlands. A stark contrast to the rugged, battle-hardened look it wore just a few months ago.

Small clusters of evergreen trees dotted the area around the main square, their branches sagging under the weight of fresh snow. They were decorated with anything people could find – colorful scraps of fabric, bent and polished tin cans, even glowing lanterns. It was a patchwork display, a symbol of the town's resilience and will to celebrate life even in the bleakest of times.

Smoke wafted from the chimneys, diffusing a homey smell of burning wood in the crisp air. In the windows of houses, faint, warm glows flickered – signs of life within, of people determined to make the best of their situation. Here and there, Christmas decorations, lovingly salvaged and repaired, lent color to the quiet, snow-white canvas of the town. The faint melody of a Christmas song, played on a well-worn guitar, echoed through the streets, carried by the winter wind.

"Can't kill Christmas." I chuckled.

***

As I stepped through the door, shaking the frost from my coat, I was greeted by the warmth of the fireplace and the soft glow of the Christmas lights strung haphazardly across the walls. Each of the girls were sprawled across the floor, busying themselves with whatever task they had found to occupy the evening. Their heads turned as I entered, their faces lighting up in smiles.

"I hope you guys haven't started the festivities without me," I said, brushing off the snow and making my way towards them.

"We wouldn't dare," Cassidy teased, her eyes sparkling with mirth.

I reached into my bag, pulling out four small, neatly wrapped packages. "Well, then, let's get started."

Cassidy's gift was first. She unwrapped it with an exaggerated flourish, revealing a new pair of sturdy leather gloves. She looked up, her eyes shining. "Oh, Chang! These are perfect!" she exclaimed, pulling them on immediately. "No more frozen fingers for me."

Next was Kaya. She unwrapped her gift to reveal a set of precision tools, meant for the maintenance of her beloved rifle. Her eyes widened in delight. "Chang, this is... I mean, how did you even...?" She was speechless. "Thank you, Chang," she said after a moment, her voice quiet and sincere.

Hazuki opened her gift next. Inside was a medical book, one that I had scoured far and wide to find. It wasn't just any book; it was a compendium of medical knowledge, meant for field doctors. Her eyes welled up as she leafed through it. "I... don't know what to say, Chang," she whispered. "This... this is invaluable."

Finally, it was Yan-Hua's turn. She unwrapped her gift to find a carefully preserved sheet of music. A soft gasp escaped her lips as she recognized the song: an old Chinese melody she once mentioned missing. She looked at me, her eyes filled with a mix of surprise and joy. "Chang," she said, her voice catching, "I can't believe you remembered."

Their reactions were everything I had hoped for and more. The joy in their eyes, their smiles, the genuine gratitude and warmth that filled the room. In that moment, I knew that despite all the hardships and trials we had faced, we had something truly special here – a home, a family. And I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Cassidy handed me a box with a smirk. "You'll love this one, boss," she winked. Unwrapping the paper, I found a new belt with an assortment of pouches and clips. It was a practical gift, something Cassidy knew I'd appreciate. "It's for all those times when your hands are full and you don't have enough pockets."

Kaya was next. She gave me a small, plain box. Inside, I found a rugged, mechanical wristwatch. It was a military style, with luminescent numerals and an inbuilt compass. "I know you like practicality, boss," she said, watching as I admired the watch. "This watch is water-resistant and shock-proof. Perfect for you."

Hazuki presented a leather-bound journal and a set of fine writing tools. "Senpai, I've seen you scribbling on scraps of paper," she said, her eyes gentle. "I thought you could use something more... permanent." The journal was filled with thick, high-quality paper that was a pleasure to touch. I felt an unexpected surge of emotion. It was a thoughtful gift, one that showed how well Hazuki understood me.

Lastly, Yan-Hua stepped forward with a small box that was beautifully wrapped. "For you, Chang," she said softly. Inside was a simple silver ring. It was a rugged design, etched with intricate patterns that glinted under the light. My initials were carved on the inside of the band.

"I noticed you didn't have any jewelry," she explained, her voice soft. "And I thought that something simple and sturdy would suit you. Consider it a lucky charm."

I slid the ring onto my finger. It was a perfect fit. Looking up at Yan-Hua, I could only nod in appreciation. "Thank you, Yan-Hua," I said, my voice choked with emotion. "It's perfect."

Q: What would be your ideal gift for Christmas in a zombie apocalypse?