[6] Reality

The metallic taste of fear filled my mouth as I watched the scene unfold. The soldier, covered in blood and staggering down the hallway, was a sight straight out of a horror movie. The blood, vivid against the stark white of his uniform, painted a picture that sent chills down my spine. I gripped the handle of my baseball bat tighter, my knuckles turning white. My heart pounded in my chest like a war drum, each beat echoing the soldier's staggered steps .A door creaked open further down the hallway, and a girl stepped out. She was one of my classmates, a quiet, studious girl who always sat at the back of the class. She had a look of terror on her face as she looked at the soldier, but there was something else too. Compassion. She rushed over to the fallen soldier, her small frame looking even smaller next to him. But she didn't hesitate. She knelt next to him, carefully turning him over. She winced at the sight of his wounds but didn't look away. I watched in awe as she ripped a piece of cloth from her shirt and began to bandage his wounds, her hands steady despite the tremor in her voice. 

 "Help... somebody help!" she shouted, her voice echoing down the quiet hallway. 

 A part of me wanted to rush forward and help, but I was rooted in place. The sight of the soldier, the blood, the girl's desperation, all of it was too much.But before I could get fully open the door, the solider jerked to life and bit my classmate. We watched the whole thing in horror. The whole scene seemed to stretch on for eternity. It was only when James slammed the door close, I was pulled back into my world again.

I staggered back from the door, my mind racing. 

The sight of the soldier... the blood... the girl... 

It was like something out of a horror movie. But this was real. This was happening right in front of us.

James was pacing the room, his face pale and his eyes wide with fear. "This is insane... this is insane..." he kept muttering under his breath.

"What... what was that?" I managed to choke out. My voice sounded strange to my ears, like it was coming from far away.

"I don't know, Chang," James said, stopping his pacing to look at me. "But it looked like... it looked like the soldier turned into a... a..."

"Zombie?" I finished his sentence, the word sounding ridiculous even as it left my lips. But what else could it be? What else could explain the soldier's behavior, the way he attacked the girl?

"Yeah... a zombie," James agreed, his voice barely a whisper. "But how... why...?"

"I don't know, James," I said, my mind racing. "But we need gtfo of here. Now."

"But where will we go?" James asked, looking at me with wide, fearful eyes. "The whole campus is on lockdown... and if there are more of those... things out there..."

"We'll figure it out," I said, more confidently than I felt. "We'll figure it out..."

Q: What will you pack for a zombie apocalypse?