[82] Settling down

Our first destination was the town market, a vibrant array of makeshift stalls. The aroma of cooked food, the sounds of people bartering, and the overall hustle and bustle of the place brought back a semblance of normalcy.

Cassidy took the lead, her assertive nature and street smarts taking charge of the situation. With the bag of deer meat hanging over her shoulder, we navigated the market, our eyes scanning the array of goods on display.

Our first stop was a clothing stall. We traded a chunk of the venison for an assortment of clothing. Cassidy got herself a practical set of cargo pants and a fitted jacket, retaining her tough exterior. Yan-Hua picked out a soft sweater and some jeans. Hazuki found a simple yet functional dress, while Kaya decided on a cozy hoodie and jogging pants. As for me, I stuck to a sturdy pair of jeans and a warm jacket.

Next, we stopped by a food stall, where we exchanged another chunk of deer meat for a healthy supply of energy bars and canned food. The sight of the food made our stomachs growl in anticipation, reminding us of the scarcity of meals in recent times.

We filled our bottles at the local well, the clean, cool water a refreshing change from the stale water we'd been surviving on. We also traded a bit of venison for a purification tablet – an essential tool for survival.

With the remaining venison, we visited the local inn, a welcoming two-story structure with smoke curling from its chimney. We negotiated a deal with the innkeeper, a weathered old man with twinkling eyes. He offered us a room for three nights in exchange for the remaining deer meat, a fair deal in these tough times.

After settling our deal, we hauled our newfound supplies up to the room. The innkeeper led us to a room on the second floor, opening the door to reveal a large but cozy space. In the center, a large bed dominated the room, covered in thick quilts and fluffy pillows. It wasn't ideal, but it was more comfortable than the car or the cold, hard ground we'd been used to.

As we huddled together on the oversized bed, the worn out quilts providing a modicum of comfort, we each began to voice our plans for the next day. It was strange, for the first time in weeks, we had some semblance of normalcy and could actually plan something other than mere survival.

Hazuki was the first to speak up, her delicate face resolute and determined. "I'll go to the local hospital tomorrow," she stated, her soft voice echoing in the quiet room. "I may not be a fully licensed doctor, but I have knowledge, and that is what's needed the most right now." Her words carried a weight of truth. In this new reality, formal credentials mattered less than practical skills.

Yan-Hua was next, her usually soft eyes now shining with purpose. "I'm going to see if they need a teacher," she suggested. "So many children, growing up amidst all this chaos...they need education, a sense of normalcy more than anything." She was right. In a world turned upside down, the simple routines of a normal life could provide comfort and reassurance.

Kaya, ever the silent observer, voiced her own thoughts. "This place could use more patrol guards," she said, her fingers idly playing with the hem of her hoodie. "I have a good aim, and I know how to handle myself in a fight." Her statement hung in the air, a testament to her survival skills honed over weeks of battling the undead.

I nodded, acknowledging each of their plans. The energy in the room had shifted, from despair and uncertainty to purpose and determination. Cassidy, however, remained quiet. Sensing my gaze on her, she finally spoke. "I'm not sure what I could do. I've never really had a regular job."

"You could come with me and Kaya," I suggested, "We could use another pair of hands." Her eyes met mine and for the first time, I saw a flicker of hope. "We could try applying tomorrow," I added.

"Very well, I will follow your lead boss." Kaya said with an approving nod.

"Thanks for trusting me Kaya." I returned a smile to her. "Alright, let's get some rest now, shall we girls?"

Q: What is the first thing you would do at a motel?