[33] Refueling

As the jeep coughed its final puff of smoke, the looming structure of the Border Inn Casino appeared like a mirage in the distant, casting long shadows under the setting sun. Cassidy steered the vehicle into the vacant parking lot, the crunch of gravel under tires shattering the eerie silence.

"I hope they left some fuel in the storage," I murmured, squinting at the seemingly deserted building. It stood alone amidst the barren landscape, a relic of more prosperous times, now succumbing to the ravages of the apocalypse.

We disembarked from the vehicle, our steps synchronized and cautious, reverberating through the vast emptiness of the landscape. Ms. Yan clung to her lady gun, her knuckles turning white from the pressure. Cassidy, ever the fearless one, sauntered towards the entrance, her fingers casually looped through the belt holding her favorite pistols.

The casino's entrance was barricaded haphazardly with a stack of slot machines, presumably a last-ditch attempt to keep the undead out. After a collective effort, we managed to shift enough of the barricade to squeeze ourselves through. The faint smell of stale beer and musty carpet greeted us, a stark reminder of the lively atmosphere that once thrived here.

Stepping over discarded poker chips and playing cards, we made our way to the dimly lit bar. Behind it, rows of empty bottles glinted under the moonlight, their contents either consumed or taken. Amidst the desolation, a dust-covered register sat, its display blinking in a silent SOS.

The silence was unnerving. Our footsteps echoed through the vast gambling hall, bouncing off the deserted blackjack tables and abandoned roulette wheels. Flickering neon lights cast an otherworldly glow on our faces, deepening the sense of unease.

As the eerie silence of the deserted casino engulfed us, a sudden cacophony shattered the quietude. Ms. Yan had accidentally bumped into one of the slot machines, her eyes wide with shock as the contraption sprang to life. A gaudy carnival tune emanated from the machine, echoing through the vacant hall.

"Oh shit," I muttered, my heart pounding. Each note seemed deafening in the silent casino, a discordant symphony drawing attention to our whereabouts. The flashing lights of the machine danced across our startled faces, casting long, ghastly shadows on the musty carpet.

Cassidy was the first to react, her eyes darting around the room, her fingers automatically moving to her pistols. Her body was poised, ready to confront whatever this noise could potentially attract. But it wasn't the sight of the armed thugs or even zombies we feared - it was the utter unpredictability of what could happen next.

Ms. Yan's breath hitched in her throat, her gaze fixed on the machine. Coins began to spurt out from it, clanging onto the metal tray, each ding echoing ominously in the silence. The once innocuous game of chance had now transformed into a menacing beacon, its lights and noise piercing through the otherwise deserted landscape.

"Turn it off!" Cassidy hissed, her voice barely above a whisper, but carrying a note of urgency. Her eyes were still scanning the room, every muscle taut, ready to spring into action.

"I can't!" Ms. Yan whispered back, her fingers fumbling over the buttons in panic. Her every touch only seemed to aggravate the machine, making it louder and brighter.

The shrill sound of the machine seemed to be mocking us, its tune growing louder with every passing second. It was a call, a lure for anything that might be hiding in the shadows. Our every instinct screamed danger, the casino transforming from a silent refuge into a death trap.

Cassidy swiftly took charge, making her way to the machine with determined strides. She scrutinized the various buttons and levers, her fingers moving with practiced precision. But it was to no avail; the machine seemed to be locked in its merry tune, oblivious to the potential danger it posed.

"Damn, we need to get out of here!" I hissed, grabbing Ms. Yan's hand, ready to make a run for the exit.

"But the fuel!-" Cassidy's voice was cut off by a chilling moan that echoed through the hall. The mirthful tune of the slot machine was answered by a less pleasant sound. The undead were here, attracted by the racket.

"I will get the fuel." I said.

"Alright, your call boss!" Cassidy yelled, her pistols drawn as she backed towards the door, her gaze trained on the shadows creeping towards us.

Q: Have you been to a casino before?