[84] Job search

The early morning light seeped into the room, casting a soft glow that gently pulled us from the depths of sleep. Our bodies stirred on the shared bed, groggy from the night's rest but ready to start the day. The air was thick with anticipation, every one of us aware of the tasks that awaited us.

Hazuki was the first to rise, stretching out her limbs before reaching for the granola bars that were our breakfast. The rustling of the wrapper broke the room's silence, and soon, all of us were awake. "Morning," she greeted us softly, her tired eyes crinkling at the corners as she flashed a small smile.

We echoed her greeting, passing around the granola bars and tearing into them with quiet appreciation. The meal was small and simple, but it filled our stomachs and fueled us for the day ahead.

Once we were done, Hazuki rose from the bed and collected her bag. "I'll be heading to the hospital now," she announced, her voice steady and determined. She threw us all a quick look, an unspoken promise in her gaze. "I'll do my best to secure us some medical supplies."

Yan-Hua was next to leave, her steps slow but resolute as she stood up and grabbed her own bag. "I'll go to the elementary school," she informed us, her gaze serious. "The children need education, especially in times like these. I'll do my part."

Their departure left a palpable void in the room, the bed suddenly feeling too spacious without them. Yet, there was also a sense of determination, a collective resolve to make the most of our circumstances. Cassidy, Kaya and I shared a look before we too rose from the bed.

"Well, we can't just sit around here," Cassidy declared, her tone light but her eyes resolute. "Let's go see about getting some jobs, shall we?"

Kaya and I nodded, a mutual understanding passing between us. "Yeah, let's go." I agreed, rising to my feet. Our group, now only three, left the room, stepping out into the day.

***

Upon reaching the repurposed police station, we were greeted by a tall black woman who exuded an air of authority. She wore a well-worn uniform that spoke volumes of her resilience and experience in this post-apocalyptic world. Her eyes held a certain hardness, the kind that came from seeing too much, but also a determined glint, a resolve to keep fighting, to keep surviving.

"Good morning," she began, her voice carrying a gruff warmth that was both intimidating and comforting in equal measures. "What can I help you folks with?"

"We're looking for work," Cassidy responded, her voice steady, echoing the determination mirrored in our eyes. "We were told you might have something."

The woman, now identified as Officer Stephanie Lawson by her tarnished badge, scrutinized us carefully, her gaze piercing yet considerate. "I wish I could help you," she began, her tone regretful. "But the defense force is currently full. We're at capacity for now."

Cassidy's face fell slightly, but she maintained her composure, her will unshaken. "We're fighters," she pressed, her tone earnest, almost pleading. "We're capable and we've been through a lot. We can help."

Officer Lawson sighed, the weight of her responsibility evident in the lines on her face. "I appreciate your tenacity, but rules are rules. We can't have more personnel than we can manage."

"Maybe there's something else we could do?" I chimed in, not ready to back down. "We're not picky. Any work will do."

Stephanie seemed to appreciate our persistence, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. She thought for a moment, her eyes distant as she pondered our request. "I can't promise anything," she warned, her tone serious. "But I'll talk to the higher-ups, see if they can find some other roles for you. Can't guarantee they'll be pleasant though."

"We understand," Kaya assured her. "We're grateful for anything at this point."

She nodded, her gaze softening slightly. "Come back tomorrow," she advised. "I'll see what I can do."

***

As we walked out of the police station in disappointment, a figure stepped out from the shadow of the adjacent building. A middle-aged man, his features obscured by a scruffy beard and a worn-out hat that was tilted to shade his eyes. His clothes were a mishmash of patches and threadbare sections, but there was a certain rugged charm to his shabby appearance.

"Didn't seem like it went too well in there, huh?" His voice was raspy, an aural equivalent of his weathered look.

"No, it didn't," Cassidy responded curtly, her arms crossed in front of her chest.

"Hmmm, tough luck. How about I buy you folks a drink to drown the disappointment?" He flashed us a toothy grin, his offer hanging in the air.

We exchanged glances, wariness dancing in our eyes. He didn't appear to be a threat, but in this world, looks could be deceiving.

"We're not looking for charity," Kaya stated, her voice as steely as her gaze.

The man chuckled, raising his hands in mock surrender, "No, no. Nothing like that. Just thought it'd be nice to have some company at the bar. Things get lonely around here, you know?"

Against our better judgment, we considered his offer. We had no immediate plans and the prospect of a free drink wasn't something to be dismissed lightly in these times.

"Alright, why not," I decided, speaking up for the first time. The man's eyes gleamed with satisfaction.

"Great! Follow me, then." He gestured towards a nearby tavern, its signage weather-beaten and hanging crooked, yet there was a certain lively hum emanating from within that was oddly inviting.

Q: What do you think your job will be a post apocalypse?