[120] Happy new year

We were at the final moments before the new year countdown.

We gathered around the fire, the flames casting a soft and warm glow on our faces. The girls each held a piece of paper, ready to share their bucket lists.

Cassidy went first. Her eyes sparkled with a mischievous glint as she cleared her throat, "First off, boss, I want to learn how to drive Cody's bus. Second, I want to get better at cooking, so we aren't all stuck eating canned beans forever. And third, I'd like to have a good old fashioned movie night. I miss the times before... everything."

Kaya was next, her voice calm and thoughtful, "I want to train more people on firearms and defense tactics. Second, I'd like to start a garden in the spring, and maybe even raise some chickens. Lastly, I want to learn to play a musical instrument, maybe the guitar or the piano."

Yan-Hua followed, her voice soft yet firm, "First, I would like to learn more medical knowledge, maybe from the books in the library. Second, I want to teach Chinese to anyone who's interested. And lastly, I want to create a map of the safe zones and danger zones in and around the town, so people can navigate safer."

Hazuki was the last to speak up, her voice hesitant yet hopeful, "I want to help Yan-Hua with the map. Second, I want to start a book club. And finally... I want to learn to ride a horse."

Their eyes turned to me expectantly, their faces lit up by the warm fire. I cleared my throat and held up my own piece of paper. It was a simple list, scrawled in my messy handwriting, but each item was something important to me.

"Well, first off," I began, a small smirk pulling at the corner of my lips, "I want to keep my harem and maybe expand it a little more."

A couple of chuckles rippled through the group, and Cassidy gave me a playful nudge on the shoulder. "Just don't forget about us, when that time comes."

"I sure won't girls," I chuckled and continued. "Secondly, I want to improve the defenses of our house. A few more traps, perhaps a watchtower. And lastly," I paused for a moment, meeting each of their eyes in turn, "I want to ensure every one of your bucket list items gets crossed off."

There was a moment of silence, then Kaya spoke up, her voice touched with a rare warmth. "Well, boss, looks like you've got your work cut out for you."

As the 2nd hand clock we salvaged from one of our scavenging hunts neared the final minute of the old year, we huddled closer together. The atmosphere was electric with anticipation, the crackling fire casting dancing shadows over our expectant faces. The last vestiges of the old year clung to the air, fading away as the new one prepared to make its grand entrance.

"Ten," Kaya started, her voice soft yet clear, slicing through the quiet hum of the winter night.

"Nine," Cassidy chimed in, her usually mischievous gaze now softened with a rare seriousness.

"Eight," Hazuki followed, a hint of excitement twinging her usually calm voice.

"Seven," Yan-Hua picked up, the corners of her lips turned upwards in a tranquil smile.

"Six," I took my turn, feeling my heartbeat quicken with each passing second.

"Five," we chorused together, our voices blending into a harmonious symphony of hope and anticipation.

"Four, three, two," the countdown was a shared tether, a communal lifeline anchoring us to this moment of change and renewal.

"One!" And with that, we erupted into a cheer, our voices echoing through the silent snow-covered night. The cheer was a symbol of our shared triumph, a loud affirmation of our survival, of the hardships we'd braved and the memories we'd forged in the crucible of the past three months.

"Happy New Year!" We exclaimed together, and a new chapter in our shared saga began.

Q: Did you enjoy the book?