[95] Post zombie apocalypse real estate

We extended our motel stay by another 3 days by trading part of our supplies. The next day, me, Kaya and Cassidy went around town to find a new house, we found a real estate office and surprisingly, they were still working.

As we approached the still-operating real estate office, a woman, probably in her mid-forties, spotted us from her desk by the window. She had a wary look in her eyes but it softened as we approached. Opening the door with a chime, she greeted us with a warm smile.

"Good morning, folks. How can I help you today?" she said, her voice laced with an underlying strength and resilience that made us feel oddly reassured.

"We're interested in acquiring a house," I replied, trying to sound as casual as I could.

She glanced at each one of us before answering, "Well, business is still business. Follow me."

She showed us around town, after walking for about an hour, I saw a house with some broken windows. I asked the retailer to show us that particular house.

The estate agent followed my gaze to the grand, albeit slightly battered house at the end of the street. With an arched eyebrow, she turned back to me. "That old place?" she asked, seeming surprised at my choice. "Well, sure. We can certainly have a look."

As we approached the house, I noticed the faded grandeur in the carved wooden door, the crumbled, ivy-covered brick walls, and the tall, overgrown garden hedges. It was an impressive structure despite the neglect.

As we moved inside, the interior echoed the house's exterior charm - cracked floorboards and peeling wallpaper couldn't hide the architectural splendor of the high ceilings and vast rooms. Sunlight streamed in through the broken windows, filling the large, vacant rooms with an ethereal light.

"This place used to belong to a wealthy family," the agent explained as she led us through the labyrinth-like interior. "But after the outbreak, they fled, and it's been abandoned ever since."

We ventured from room to room, noting the spacious living area, the grand dining room, the kitchen which was in a state of disarray but had potential. The house boasted five large bedrooms, each with its own distinct style.

"Needs a bit of work," Cassidy commented dryly, peering at the dilapidated fireplace in one of the bedrooms.

Kaya was more optimistic. "But think of the space. We could each have our own room. Plus, we can help with the repairs."

I had to agree with Kaya. There was something about the old house that felt right. It was a project, a challenge, and a safe haven in these bleak times.

We turned to the estate agent, who was watching us closely, no doubt judging our reaction to gauge how much more she could push for. "So," she said, "What do you think? Can we make a deal?"

"Yeah, but I want to hear the price first." I said.

She turned to us, folding her arms across her chest, and appraised us with a shrewd look in her eyes. "Well, given the size and location of the house, I would say we're looking at a hefty price."

A moment of silence filled the air as she paused, seemingly considering something. "I'd say about a hundred cans of food, fifty gallons of clean water, assorted tools for the repairs, and some luxury items like alcohol or cigarettes."\

That's a complete rip off...

"The place is looted, most of the windows are shattered, not to mention, this house is located at the outskirts of town, I argue this house is only worth half as much as you said." I bargained.

The retailer, surprised by my sudden interjection, blinked and took a step back. She looked at me, her brows raised in question, before shifting her gaze back towards the house. There was a long, drawn-out silence as she seemed to be recalculating the cost of the property.

"You drive a hard bargain," she eventually conceded, shooting me a sideways glance. "The house is in a less desirable state, I will give you that. But it still offers plenty of space and could be quite comfortable after some repairs."

She ran a hand through her hair, appearing contemplative. "Okay, how about this," she began, her tone notably softer now. "Seventy-five cans of food, forty gallons of water, the same amount of repair tools, and luxury items. But," she quickly added, holding up a finger, "you would have to make sure to bring everything in one go. If someone else comes in with a better offer while you're still gathering, I can't promise anything."

Her words hung in the air between us like a challenge. A challenge we intended to take. We all glanced at each other before nodding, a shared determination flickering in our eyes.

"We'll do it," I said, meeting her gaze head-on, determination solidifying my voice.

Her eyes twinkled at my resolve, a hint of respect showing in her gaze. "Then we have a deal. I look forward to your return."

"Consider this a down payment." I took out a handful of batteries. "And here is a little tip for you." I took out a gold bracelet and placed it in her hands. "Don't show this house to anyone else."

Her eyes widened at the sight of the batteries and the bracelet, evidently caught off guard by the generous offer. For a moment, she just stood there, staring at the items in her hand in stunned silence. She looked up at me, a hint of incredulity in her gaze.

"Are you serious?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper. Her eyes flickered back down to the batteries and the golden bracelet nestled in her palm. "This is... I mean, these are quite valuable, you know? You don't have to..."

I raised my hand to stop her mid-sentence. "Consider it a token of good faith," I said, locking eyes with her. "We're serious about this house. And we'll bring the rest as agreed upon. But we need your assurance that this house stays off the market till then."

She looked at me for a long moment, her eyes searching mine as if trying to gauge the sincerity in my words. Then, she let out a soft sigh and nodded, her expression turning serious. "Alright," she agreed, closing her hand around the items. "You have my word."

I nodded in return, feeling a sense of relief washing over me. She slipped the batteries and the bracelet into her pocket, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"And...thank you for the tip," she added, her smile widening slightly. "I must say, this is a first for me. But I promise you, the house will not be shown to anyone else until you return."

"Good," I said, returning her smile. "We'll be back soon."

Q: Do you think you will be able to afford a house in a post zombie apocalypse world?