[20] Lighter

"To the roof!" I yelled, as I quickly pulled Ms. Yan to her feet. Then I pulled out the lighter James give me.

I hope this works James, you bastard...

I then lighted up my lighter and tossed it towards the leaking pool of gasoline.

The world light up the moment the lighter left my hand. A wall of inferno erected itself between me and the horde of zombies.

For a split second, I was paralyzed, mesmerized by the deadly dance of the flames. But the harsh reality of the situation quickly jerked me back to my senses. I stumbled to my feet, the heat from the fire washing over me in harsh waves. The station was a burning inferno now, the flames reaching for the sky in a ruthless ascent.

Behind me, I could hear the guttural moans of the undead, the sounds growing louder and more frantic with each passing second. Their decaying bodies were being drawn to the noise and the flames, their mindless hunger driving them towards the destruction.

Without wasting another moment, I bolted towards the store. I could feel the heat of the fire on my back, its blistering fingers trying to claw their way towards me. But I pushed on, my lungs screaming for air as I ran.

Inside the store, the blaring announcement was still ringing through the speakers. The shrill noise echoed in my ears, a chilling reminder of the impending danger. But I had a mission. I dashed towards the storage area, my eyes scanning for anything that could aid in our escape.

Finally, I spotted it. A rickety ladder, long forgotten and collecting dust in a corner. I yanked it free from its resting place, ignoring the pain that shot up my arms from the exertion. I hurriedly dragged it towards the back of the store, where a small door led to the rooftop.

Once outside, I propped the ladder against the wall, my hands shaking as I secured it in place. I glanced back at the burning station, the flames dancing wildly in the darkness. The zombies were almost upon it, their mindless determination pushing them forward.

Climbing up the ladder, I scrambled onto the rooftop. The cool night air was a welcome relief after the heat of the fire, the gentle breeze soothing my heated skin. Ms. Yan was already there, her eyes wide with fear as she watched the scene unfold.

The moment I reached her, I grabbed her hand. "We have to jump," I told her, pointing to the adjacent tree. It was a risky move, but it was the only way out. "Can you do it?"

She looked at me, her gaze steady despite the terror in her eyes. "I... I'll try," she said, squeezing my hand in assurance.

With a deep breath, we backed away from the edge, preparing ourselves for the leap. Below us, the zombies had reached the station, their bodies engulfed in flames. Their shrieks filled the night, a horrifying chorus that echoed our own fears.

And then, with a burst of adrenaline, we ran. The wind rushed past us as we sprinted towards the edge, the ground disappearing beneath us as we jumped.

For a moment, we were suspended in the air, the world a blur of movement and noise around us. And then we hit the tree branch, before falling to the ground a second later.

But we were safe. Alive. We made it out. And as I looked at the burning station, the flames licking the night sky, I knew we had survived yet another day in this hellish nightmare. 

Q: Do you smoke?