Assault

"Standing upright...My brother's life expired."

"Just thinking about it made my skin crawl. If his life span had been one breath longer... I would have died that night. Living as a demon also meant that I had to live with that humiliation for hundreds of years. Because Yoriichi died, an honourable death will not visit me. Now that the greatest swordsman in the history of Demons Slayers has died...I must not lose. Yes. I chose to win every battle...until I became...ugly like this."

- Present Day (Third Person POV) -

"HRAGHHHHHHH!!!!"

To everyone's shock and dismay, Kokushibo let out a roar as attacks engulfed the area, along with Tanjiro. Dust begins to fill the area as pillars begin to topple over, adding to the obscuring dust. Zenitsu asks, "What happened? What did he do?" Giyu says, "Argh, Tanjiro had him! He was SO close!" Kyojuro said, "Everyone! On your guard, now!"

With the last falling pillar, Zenitsu could hear someone's laboured breathing, along with liquid spilling, but at a slow rate, and quick footsteps. Zenitsu held his ear and said, "I think Tanjiro is in trouble..."

During Kokushibo's last attack, Tanjiro was struck a few times. He was slashed in the shoulder, which was so deep, that it nearly grazed his lung, both legs and his right arm and lost two fingers. After landing a few metres in front of Kokushibo, pillars began to fall, allowing him to move around. He hid behind a fallen pillar and covered most of the wounds. During all this, Tanjiro had trouble keeping still, trembling from pain. He noticed the dust was clearing and got out of his temporary hiding spot. He then saw a clear view of Kokushibo and saw warped swords all around his body. Tanjiro thought, "Was that what he hit me with? I can't fall for that move again or I most likely will lose my life. But if I can't get close, then how will I beat him? Think... Think! Oh, I know! I regret admitting it but I think I'll need help with it. I'll have Master Rengoku take Kokushibo by surprise using his ninth form! If that doesn't work, I'll just go in and kill him myself even if I lose my own life."

Tanjiro, still trembling, stares at Kokushibo as he does the same. Both waited for the other to make a move.

As the stares became more intense, Tanjiro could feel a sweat drop run down his face. He decided to use that as a deciding factor to make the first move if Kokushibo won't.

Kokushibo stared intensely at Tanjiro, predicting that he would most likely make the first move, judging from the smallest muscle movements. Most of his predictions were correct since his last opponents made small muscle movements before rushing at him.

Kyojuro asks, "What is he doing? Why are they just standing there" Zenitsu answered, "Tanjiro always stares at his opponent before making the first move. I've seen it once before but it doesn't always work out." Suddenly, Tanjiro and Kokushibo disappeared but a bright flash of light appeared in the middle of them.

Clang!

What sounded like a bell was heard as the two clashed. Kokushibo kept a serious face while Tanjiro had a smile with a slight scowl evident. The ground shook as rubble floated with each clash between the two. Both did not let up as they continued clashing nonstop. The intense shocks and vibrations sent an intense pain shooting from Tanjiro's wounded hand up to his shoulder. Unable to keep up with the pain, Tanjiro faltered a bit and earned himself an attack that launched his katana far away. Before Kokushibo could cut Tanjiro in half vertically, Tanjiro catches Kokushibo's arm mid-strike and keeps it in place. Tanjiro struggled to keep Kokushibo's blade from reaching him as he thought of blasting him away. He thought, "I can't do that! If I do it, I'll be cut in two! Plus, if I don't do anything fast enough, he might do something like kick me!"