14

Minho's fear was overwhelming, to say the least. The villains had given them explicit instructions to meet at this desolate construction site, far away from any residential areas.

The vast open spaces stretched out for miles, leaving Minho wondering why they had chosen such an isolated location. Shouldn't they want to wreak havoc among innocent people? Shouldn't they want to make their presence known?

The news of their destructive acts against government facilities had spread like wildfire, causing distress and confusion among the public. The government's attempts to suppress the information had failed miserably. People demanded answers.

They needed to know who was behind it all. Consequently, the government had revealed the names of the group of villains responsible—the Shadow Syndicate. The name was plastered across newspapers and news channels.

Unbeknownst to the public, the government had been training a team of eight individuals to take down these criminals.

"Are you okay?" Jisung asked, his voice filled with concern as he stood beside Minho in the empty construction zone, awaiting the arrival of the villains.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Minho managed to force a smile, although Jisung could tell it wasn't genuine. Jisung wasn't satisfied with the response, but he decided not to press further. They were all equally terrified.

"We'll make it through this safely," Jisung said, gently taking Minho's hand in his and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I promise."

Minho turned to look at Jisung and smiled at the sincerity in the younger boy's eyes.

"Thanks, Hannie," Minho replied, gripping Jisung's hand a little tighter. He was too scared to let go, afraid that releasing his hold would make the impending danger all too real.

The rest of the team appeared equally agitated and anxious. Hyunjin seemed lost without Felix by his side. Chan encouraged Jeongin and Seungmin to stay strong. Changbin paced back and forth, clearly on edge.

Felix, of course, was prohibited from joining the fight. His safety was paramount. The team relied on his ability to heal others, which hinged on his own health and energy. They couldn't afford to put Felix on the battlefield—at least, not yet. Perhaps with more training, they could reconsider.

As the minutes ticked by, the tension in the air grew thicker. Each member of the team struggled to calm their racing hearts, their minds consumed by a mix of fear and determination. They understood the high stakes involved, knowing that the outcome of this confrontation would have far-reaching consequences.

Suddenly, a chilling silence enveloped the abandoned construction site. The sound of distant footsteps echoed, growing louder with each passing moment. Minho's grip on Jisung's hand tightened even further, seeking comfort and support.

And then, they emerged from the shadows.

The members of the Shadow Syndicate stepped into the open, their faces concealed by masks and their bodies clad in dark, intimidating attire. An aura of danger radiated from them as if they were the embodiment of chaos itself.

"The chosen eight," one of them spoke up, and Minho assumed he was the leader. Standing at the center, with three members to his left and three to his right, his voice sounded robotic and monotonous.