6

Hyunjin took a deep breath, steadying his nerves, fully aware of the immense power and responsibility that came with his unique ability—the power to delve into the minds of others. With each step forward, he focused on projecting a calm and composed demeanor.

"Hyunjin, do you need a volunteer?" Captain Lee asked, knowing well that using dummies wouldn't be sufficient to test Hyunjin's abilities.

"Yes," Hyunjin replied.

"In that case, does anyone want to volunteer?" Captain Lee turned to the group.

Felix's hand shot up instantly. "I'll do it," he declared, exchanging glances between Hyunjin and the captain.

"Felix, I don't think it's a good idea-" Hyunjin began expressing his concerns, but Instructor Choi interrupted.

"Very well, Felix, you may join Hyunjin."

Hyunjin let out a heavy sigh as he watched Felix approach. They briefly locked eyes, and in that moment, Hyunjin detected not a trace of fear or nervousness in Felix. A smile formed on Hyunjin's face.

They stood facing each other, anticipation filling the air. The rest of the group watched with a mix of curiosity and apprehension, aware that they were about to witness something extraordinary.

Hyunjin cleared his mind and extended his senses, gently probing the thoughts and emotions around him. He focused his attention solely on Felix, blocking out the mental noise of everyone else in the room. A surge of energy flowed through him, connecting him to the vast realm of thoughts waiting to be unraveled.

With a gentle gaze, Hyunjin made contact with Felix's mind. Instantly, a flood of thoughts and feelings rushed into his consciousness. Memories, hopes, fears—they all cascaded through his awareness like a swirling whirlpool.

Hyunjin's brows furrowed as he sifted through the jumble of emotions, seeking clarity and understanding. He honed in on a particular memory that stood out—a vivid recollection of Felix's childhood.

In this memory, Felix was teaching his younger sister how to ride a bike. It was a bright summer day, and the two were having the time of their lives. Felix appeared to be around 7 or 8 years old, while his sister seemed to be 5 or 6.

During the teaching session, his sister falls off and badly injures her knee. This was when Felix first used his healing powers on someone apart from him.

Hyunjin began narrating this incident to Felix and the group. They watched Felix's eyes widen with every word that came out of Hyunjin's mouth.

"Can you confirm if this story is true, Felix?" Captain Lee asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Y-Yes, it's true," Felix replied, still in awe. He knew Hyunjin was capable of reading his mind, but he didn't know he could unlock past memories as well.

"Well done, Hyunjin!" Captain Lee exclaimed. "Now, show us the next part of your gift."

Felix was immediately confused. The next part? Wasn't Hyunjin's gift just mind reading? He looked at Hyunjin with a questioning expression. Hyunjin silently pleaded, asking Felix to trust him. Felix hesitantly nodded as their eyes locked once again.