8

Chan had expected to fall asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow, but he was mistaken. The intense training had taken a toll on his stamina, leaving him utterly exhausted. Despite his weariness, sleep eluded him.

There was only one solution: a warm glass of milk. It had always been his mother's remedy for falling asleep quickly. Luckily, he was one of the few Koreans who didn't have lactose intolerance.

Quietly, he made his way through the dimly lit hallway to the kitchen and opened the fridge. Retrieving a carton of milk, he decided to heat it up on the stove.

As he waited for the milk to warm, he casually hummed the tune of his favorite song—one that he had composed himself. Gradually, he began to sing the lyrics, his voice filling the air:

'I can feel the rage burning up inside my heart. Knowing you’re no longer here.
I can’t stop thinking about what I could’ve done.
But till this day, I live in fear.

I fell apart, burnt to the ground.
Got nothing but ashes in my eyes.
It’s black and cold as night.
I wish I was there with you by your side.
I don’t know if I can sleep well tonight.

They tell me to keep movin’ on.
Yeah I’ll never be the same.
But I know that deep in my heart.
I’ll carry all the pain '

"You sing really well," a voice suddenly remarked from behind, startling Chan. He instinctively clutched his chest in fright. Turning around, he discovered Felix standing a few feet away, wearing oversized pajamas.

"You scared the shit out of me," Chan chuckled. "Do you always sneak up on people like that?"

Felix laughed. "Not usually, no. I'm sorry about that."

"It's alright," Chan reassured him.

"I came to get a glass of water," Felix explained. "But then I heard you singing, and I couldn't help but admire your voice."

"Well, it's not that great, to be honest," Chan scratched his neck nervously, reaching to turn off the stove. He poured the milk into two glasses and handed one to Felix. "Here. It'll keep you warm, and hopefully, you'll sleep better."

"Thank you," Felix gratefully accepted the glass, and both of them settled comfortably in the dimly lit kitchen.

"That song," Felix began. "Is it an original?"

"Yes, it is," Chan replied. "It hasn't been released yet, but I think it's my best work so far."

"It was mostly in English," Felix commented.

"Yeah, it's my native language since I'm from Australia," Chan replied as he watched Felix's eyes go wide.

"No way!" Felix exclaimed. "I'm from Australia, too!"

"Wow," Chan said, genuinely surprised. "I never would have expected that."