43. Talking to Snakes

Start from the beginning

On the other side and other end of the platform were the Slytherins.

"Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent", Lockhart continued as he stopped above Bel and Harry before turning back around and slowly pacing back down the platform.

"In the light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little duelling club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details see my published works", Lockhart announced.

He then stopped in the centre of the platform, removing his green velvet cloak and throwing into the crowd of students.

Multiple girls battled for possession of the cloak as Lockhart watched on with a grin.

"Let me introduce my assistant ... Professor Snape!" Lockhart then exclaimed as he put on a single grey leather glove, gesturing to the other end of the platform.

Bel followed his pointed hand to see Snape step up onto the platform. He wasn't wearing his long signature black cloak that flew behind him when he walked.

"He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration", the DADA professor continued as he threw Bel a small glance.

"Now I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear", Lockhart then explained before he walked over to meet Snape in the middle of the platform.

"I'm not sure who I'd prefer to win", Harry muttered.

"I'd love to see Snape thrown backwards in the air", Ron replied.

"But Lockhart getting chucked to the ground would be even better", Harry added.

Bel had to agree with her two friends.

Either way, the outcome of this duel would be very entertaining.

Lockhart and Snape both held up their wands in front of their faces before bringing them back down to their sides.

They then bowed slightly and turned around to walk a few paces away from each other.

Snape prepared himself on the end of the platform with the Slytherin students all watching him with excited faces.

Lockhart stood on the end with Bel and her friends, holding his wand out towards their potion's professor.

"One. Two. Three", Lockhart counted.

"Expelliarmus", Snape said firmly, pointing his wand towards Lockhart.

A spell of red light shot out from the tip of his wand, hitting Lockhart square in the chest, sending the DADA professor flying backwards, landing on his back groaning in pain.

Laughter erupted from everyone in the hall.

Well, almost everyone.

"Do you think he's alright?" Hermione asked, concerned.

"Who cares?" Ron replied.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious, uh, what you were about to do. And if I had wanted to stop you, it would've been only too easy", Lockhart said as he stood up and walked back towards the smug potions professor.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, professor", Snape suggested.

Bel agreed with Snape there.

The first thing Dumbledore had her learn in terms of duelling was to block spells.

Sure, her reason for learning was very different to now, but it was clearly the easiest first step to take.