Antoine Griezmann

Start from the beginning

"So you're upset about the World Cup."

"It's okay," he says. "It's fine, Y/n, really."

"The World Cup is big, Antoine. You have every right to be upset about it."

"It's just that we made it so far. It could have been two in a row..."

"I know... I know, but you won in 2018, Antoine. Remember?"

"And lost in 2022."

"You didn't lose! You came in second!"

"You're right," he sighs again. "But after winning, it's so bittersweet. I'm happy for all the Argentina guys. They played... They were extraordinary."

"And you're forgetting you were too. You are."

"Not good enough, Y/n."

You sigh, running your fingers in his soft clean short hair. "You're so down about this. I just want to make you feel better."

"I already said I don't know if you can." He shifts, before saying, "Can I lay down?"

You smile, looking at his half-lidded blue eyes. "M'kay, sleepyhead," you tease. "Put your head on my lap."

He shrugs and does so. After he gets comfortable, you say, "Remember, in 2018, the morning before the big final with Croatia?"

"Tell me," he sighs simply.

And as you tell the story, it's almost like you're taken back to that moment.

Four years ago, before the World Cup final

You walked right up to your husband and wrapped your arms around him, resting your head on his chest. "Oh my God, Antoine," you muttered. "This is it."

"I know," he said softly, but there was color in his tone. "I know it is, and we're going to win it. We're going to win this."

"You better," you laughed softly.

"I'm going to go out there and score a goal just for you, okay?"

"Quit making all these promises, Antoine, because then you have to fulfill them all," you said teasingly. You stood, still holding each other in a hug.

"I will fulfill them. You just watch me."

"Oh, I'll be watching you alright, baby. You're going to go out there and blow me away. Our country is going to win the World Cup. There's no doubt about it."

"You've got that right." He leaned away, taking your hands in his, looking you right in the eyes with his mesmerizing blue ones. "I'm going to blow you away."

Suddenly, Antoine's teammate, Kylian, called, "Come on, Antoine. Enough with the lovebird thing, we've got to go now!"

Antoine gave you a quick kiss on the lips, before letting go of your hands, giving you a smile and a wave, and walking off with his teammates.

Present time

Antoine shakes his head with a soft smile. "Stupid Kylian. I remember that."

"I'm sure you do, Antoine," you chuckle. You gently continue to run your fingers in his hair, and his eyes gently close again along with that. "And, Antoine, I will never forget the moment you made that penalty. Your goal was the first step to the win. It was 1-1, but you changed that."

"Mmmmm, shut up," he says softly.

"No chance," you say, before you begin.