Chapter 40: Kill or be killed

Nami's POV
Cold.

I feel cold. I grudgingly sat up but hissed in pain when I moved my leg. Right.

I was alone in the dark cave, with a put out camp fire but still had coal crackling so I scooted closer to it.

"You're awake." I flinched at the sudden voice, Captain was standing on the entrance that was vines so we were hidden well.

"Y-yes." I stutter out, cursing at myself for doing so and looked down on the stone surface, avoiding eye contact.

Captain sat down across from me while putting leaves on the camp fire, then some sticks, the fire grew and I sighed in relief for getting oh so slightest warmth.

She was holding a dead chicken and removing it's feathers with a knife.

The silence was tense and a little awkward. I wanted to know more about her, but I feared that when I say something she'd lash out at me. Just as how my old captors had done.

"You have questions." I look at Captain as she continued to prepare the chicken.

"Mhm." I mumbled slightly with a nod. "Now's your chance." She muttered in a threatening and low voice.

Why the heck are you so cool?

"How old are you?" I tilt my head. "I turned 18 a few months ago." Captain replied as chops the chicken's head off. My eyes widened slightly, she wasn't that older than me.

"And you?"

"15." I mumble. I catch Captain freeze for a second but immediately got back to working. I furrowed my brows but shrugged it off.

"Uhmm.. Do you have any family?" Captain freezes again.

"Sorry. You don't have to answer that." I mutter quickly at the end of my sentence. A deafening silence loomed over us as I stare into the fire.

"I do."

I look at her as she began to speak.

"I have 2 other siblings, I'm the youngest." A small smile appeared on her face, it was subtle but noticeable.

"Oh." Was all I can say as silence filled the air. She was finished skinning the the chicken and chopped it in half before toasting them over the fire. "W-where are they now?" I hesitate slightly. Captain's eyes dart towards the floor and a frown appears on her face. "Far away where they can't reach me." She finally replies. I scrunch my eyebrows a little. The way she worded her sentence, did she and her family ended in bad terms?

I'm not sure if the awkwardness is uncomfortable for her but sure as hell I am.

"Anything else?" She plops next to me to check on my leg.

"Uhm.." I mutter under my breath. "Do you have a boyfriend..?" I cringe at my own question, but I can see her perk up.

She does?

"It's.. Complicated." She turns away from me. Is she hiding a blush. "What do you mean by complicated? Not to pry and you don't have to answer if you don't want to." I say quickly but she places a hand on my shoulder, I look at her and there was a small smile on her face.

"I love.. Them, and they love me back but we're not allowed to be together." She hesitates before speaking again. "But they're amazing, kind, gentle, gorgeous.. I could go on about them."

The smile on her face makes me smile as well, this was the first time I can see a genuine smile on her face.

"They must be really amazing." I comment and she chuckled lightly. "They are." Silence looms over us again, but this time, it wasn't awkward, it was comfortable. I wish it was like this all the time, captain seems pretty chill for an assassin.

"Well, my turn to a-" There was a thud, and the sound if footsteps outside the cave. Captain threw water in the fire, putting out before helping me up. "Come on." She ushers as she carried me on her back. We went deeper in the cave, hiding behind a pillar as we did so.

"We'll be safe here." She reassures. "For now." I mumble.